Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Chopping etiquette

Some of the donks in Commerce's $9-18 game ask to chop if you have raised in position and it is folded around to the BB. One lady got really p.o.ed at me when I declined. Wierd
Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the donks in Commerce's $9-18 game ask to chop if you have raised in position and it is folded around to the BB. One lady got really p.o.ed at me when I declined. Wierd

[/ QUOTE ]

the house allows a chop like this? I am very surprised by that (assuming the 9/18 game is a rake game and not a time charge game).

Do they always ask for a chop or do they evaluate their cards first?

FishNChips
Old 11-15-2005, 07:54 PM

The house does allow it.

But if you chop, you also have to return $2 to the sb. See, blinds are $3 sb and $9bb. Normally, $4 is dropped from the pot, and $1 is dropped in the jackpot...so $5 total. However, if there is no flop, $1 is taken out. If the blinds chop, the $1 comes out of the sb. But if you raise, and everyone folds to the bb, and the bb asks to chop instead you also have to give the sb back his $2....gawd its dumb, but that is what they do.

The thing is, lots of the players there like huge pots. Their chances of winning a huge pot do not matter so much as the hugeness of the pot and so long as they have at least some chance at it. These guys really disdain heads up play, which is inevitable at money limits like $9-18. It's a pain in the arse, and I don't chop except in the blinds, which I always chop since its super stupid to play headsup when there is $5 taken from the pot making QQ, KK, and AA just about the only hands that can show a long term profit.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:20 PM

People can be retards. Some feel that you owe it to them to live up to their own retarded conception of 'poker ethics'.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the cardroom that I play at if its folded to the Button he/she will fold and allow the SB/BB to chop. I've seen the button fold AA face up and say, "OK, you guys chop it." I only play 3/6 and 4/8. I don't know if this is the case at any of the bigger limits. It doesn't come up much, but I'm wondering what others think of this?

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen a few players that do this on the button as well. What I think: Utterly stupid.

I wouldn't get hyperaggressive from the button -- i.e., I don't tap the fish tank -- but play my normal game.

[/ QUOTE ]

folding AA is kind of dumb, but i have looked down at a mediocre hand like KTo on the button and straight up asked the blinds if i fold, are they going to chop. i think limping in on the button when it is folded around is pretty lame. also, be weary of a bb that looks at their cards after you say, "wanna chop?" and then they agree. i never chop after someone makes a decision AFTER looking at their cards.
i was playing nl game in the sb and asked if some guy wanted to chop. he said, i guess, even though i have a pretty good hand, and turned over Q9s. to this i flipped over my KK. needless to say, i didn't chop w/him anymore.
in closing, is it out of line to ask the blinds if they will chop if i fold on the button?

mflo
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in closing, is it out of line to ask the blinds if they will chop if i fold on the button?

mflo

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not out of line at all....in fact you will probably make fishies that don't like short handed play pretty happy as they can quickly move to the next hand. That said, I think you are giving up EV+ if you are not raising with at minimum 2 faces, any pocket, or A-face or A-suited. Not to mention medium sooteds at least some of the time(dependent on rake and propensity of blinds to fold).