Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Need help picking a Monarch Computer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out if the 2 PCIe slots can be used independently for video cards on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Some of what I am reading makes it look like only one can be used for a video card if you aren't using SLI. Can anyone clarify this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only with SLI disabled. It is my understanding that you can only use 1 monitor with SLI enabled and up to 4 monitors with it disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find anything indicating this in the manual. In the manual, it says that default mode for those slots is one PCIe x16 and one PCIe x1. In SLI mode, it's two PCIe x8 slots. The ads say two PCIe x16 slots, so I would thing they could both be used as x16 slots with a video card in each without using SLI, but the manual says that if you put in two video cards and don't switch the selector card around to use SLI, a warning light comes on. Is this just a reminder, but the cards will still function normally? I wish I could get confirmation from someone that has this board with 2 video cards working indeopendently becasue the documentation is confusing at best. Of course, I still plan to get this mobo regardless because if it won't run 2 PCIe video cards, I can still run one PCIe and one PCI just like with any other board.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Video card: 2xBFG 6600GT - $197 each
* You will have to call them about this and tell them your needs

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an absolute waste of money as he is not playing any games. There are $50 ATI Cards with dual DVI

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but I was just trying to use the configurator and NVIDIA cards for an SLI setup. He should probably call up monarch and ask them about this.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:55 AM

This is what I was worried about... I'm ridiculously confused as to video cards / tv tuner / motherboard, since you guys who know more about this stuff can't even come to a consensus [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absolute waste of money as he is not playing any games. There are $50 ATI Cards with dual DVI

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these $50 cards? Do I need PCI-Express? I can't find anything without it.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these $50 cards? Do I need PCI-Express? I can't find anything without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell Monarch that you want to power 3-4 monitors on DVI and will not be playing ANY 3d games. See what they have in stock.

If they try to sell you $200 6600's, tell them to [censored] themselves