Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Required economics classes?

[ QUOTE ]
Econ was a requirement for graduation at the highschools in my school district....I kind of assumed it was a widespread policy, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in mine, but then I went to Catholic school
Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Arfinn: I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you deserve a refund? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'll concede the point that there may be times when raising it may be good, but in general I think it's bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

When unemployment is low and the economical prospect is hot or showing a possible overheating, I think it is good to do it since you push the least competitive firms out of business and make businesses in general more efficient with labor usage.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would (hopefully) reduce the number of people who vote for those who want to raise the minimum wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. The leftist economics indoctrination classes will flood us with morans who misunderstand economics but think they know what they are talking about. A Disaster!

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but don't be so sure. 7 out of 10 economists think raising the minimum wage is bad thing. It'd be kinda hard to ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you teach everybody, you need tons of teachers, and you have to dip into the general pool of liberal economically uninformed teachers who don't know anything about economics but will teach it anyway, and will teach it wrong.

The current pool of economics teachers is already contaminated by too many uninformed liberal activists.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:16 PM

By that reasoning, we shouldn't teach them anything because some of those will be taught by liberals.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would (hopefully) reduce the number of people who vote for those who want to raise the minimum wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. The leftist economics indoctrination classes will flood us with morans who misunderstand economics but think they know what they are talking about. A Disaster!

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but don't be so sure. 7 out of 10 economists think raising the minimum wage is bad thing. It'd be kinda hard to ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you teach everybody, you need tons of teachers, and you have to dip into the general pool of liberal economically uninformed teachers who don't know anything about economics but will teach it anyway, and will teach it wrong.

The current pool of economics teachers is already contaminated by too many uninformed liberal activists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, what are your qualifications for commenting on the qualifications of the nation's economics teachers?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By that reasoning, we shouldn't teach them anything because some of those will be taught by liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberalism doesn't affect math and English as much as other disciplines. Economics is subject to easy distortion that will produce people who think they know what they are talking about but don't.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Premise: For an economy to be sound, it is useful for its citizens to have a useful understanding of economic principles, so they can make good decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But people are naturally strategic actors looking to rationally optimize single-peaked utility functions, so giving them knowledge is not going to improve their decision-making capabilities.

Or at least that's what economic theory would say.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Premise: For an economy to be sound, it is useful for its citizens to have a useful understanding of economic principles, so they can make good decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But people are naturally strategic actors looking to rationally optimize single-peaked utility functions, so giving them knowledge is not going to improve their decision-making capabilities.

Or at least that's what economic theory would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Typical misconception. The point of applying economics to decisions is to add understanding to why others act as they do and how they will react to you actions; thus making more +EV-plays so to say. You don't have to study economics to realize that you prefer taco to chicken [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

P.S. Hope you weren't sarcastic as my detector is constantly off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-13-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, what are your qualifications for commenting on the qualifications of the nation's economics teachers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal and professional experience. And if you are entering your PhD program you have seen the university level bias among many profs too.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Economics is subject to easy distortion that will produce people who think they know what they are talking about but don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But it goes for "conservatives" as much as "liberals."