Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Poker and Life

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally i hate the feeling that im not meeting peoples expectations of my life, especially when it comes to my parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been very fortunate in the sense that my friends and family understand what I do esp. after pursuing a computer science degree.

You sound like a smart guy, but for some reason your parents don't seem to respect your decision. I would say "f everyone," but parents and perhaps some close family and friends are different.

Many people are afraid to gamble in career pursuits and may be coming from the perspective of working 20+ years at some job. This is not to mention the negative view people have on gambling.

To help from worrying about things, I'd say to them, "hey, if it doesn't work out, I can pursue other things. My bankroll is made of other people's money."

I also think it's healthy to pursue other things anyway, even if poker is your main source of income. I haven't been involved with poker too long, but it seems like card players are always trying to venture out and do different things. Poker must leave some achievement voids in terms of career.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:59 PM

""f everyone," but parents and perhaps some close family and friends are different."

No, f them too. If they are not happy that you are happy, go create your own family with somebody who appreciates what you do. Cut the lines, you're a man now.

We are not here to satisfy the selfish wishes of our parents. We did that upon conception. Family is either the best support or the greatest hindrance in life.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
""f everyone," but parents and perhaps some close family and friends are different."

No, f them too. If they are not happy that you are happy, go create your own family with somebody who appreciates what you do. Cut the lines, you're a man now.

We are not here to satisfy the selfish wishes of our parents. We did that upon conception. Family is either the best support or the greatest hindrance in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think that I didn't articulate myself very well. I was just trying to say, you can say things to help them understand. But if they still don't get it, f 'em and do what you're interested in doing. You only have one life, might as well pursue things that you like.

Other people aren't even worth a calorie of energy. I'd rather spend my time staring at my shoes.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Keep in mind that many people believe we are at the end of a housing bubble. Do your research before you make your investments.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically im stuck. Im stuck because going from 150-200k a year to 30-40k a year is a huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about getting a job where you don't have to work that many hours? It would be a good break from playing Poker full time and you wouldn't have to give up your insane (150k-200k) poker profitability.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One big idea i have had is investing in real estate most likely rental type properties with cashflow, and as time goes by transitioning slowly away from poker into that. I figured the first step to that was buying a house for myself, soon i will be able to look into buying real estate that is more of an investment.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a wonderful idea. Make your money work for you. Of course you will have to do your homework and invest wisely. Start with one property and rent it out, and then keep expanding. The postive cash flow you have working for you will make your life less dependent on poker, while the money coming in will sure be easier than flopping sets. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 AM

I'll be turning 40 on thursday. My Grandpa used to tell me that a man lives until he dies, so make sure you live. I didn't know what he meant by that when I was your age.
One thing I have learned over the last forty years is that family and friends have a tendency to try and hold us back. Sometimes to protect us and sometimes to keep us from rising above them, which is really proctecting themselves from feeling like failures.
You're 24 and free to chase your dreams. My advice for you and everyone else in your position would be to chase them. Chase them with all the passion and energy you can muster because tomorrow it will be you turning forty.

Regards,
G.I.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:28 AM

Thanks for all the responses again guys i really apreciate it. Was partially expecting some bashing responses but have really gotten some good thoughts about things threw this thread.

Any idea how to clear the guilt, confusion, and personal turmoil about some pretty hard life decisions and just go for it? You have convinced me of what i knew which is that i need to be me and not worry so much about other people's prejudices. Any clues on how to be proud of what i do, and not cringe at the question "Do you have a job?" from extended family? How do i discuss what i do with a side of the family that is very fundamentalist christian and views what i do as morally wrong?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 AM

If i was making that kind amoney in poker I certainly would not be stressing over what other people are thinking of me... they probably hate their jobs anyway and are envious you make that much from your home.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 AM

Living up to other peoples expectations of you is the worst thing in the world.

You should simply stop talking to your parents.