Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: What did you go through?

Lots of posters are encouraging you to get off the play money tables... and you definitly should make that a goal for the near-future. I've always said that the play money tables are next to worthless... the players are terrible, the wagers are meaningless, etc...

but, seriously, if you can't consistantly CRUSH the play money games... DON'T play for real money- unless you're willing to consider your deposit strictly disposable income that you're spending on lessons/entertainment... The very lowest limit cash cames, 2c/4c nanos on stars, are much more skillful/tighter than play money games (though still easy to beat for any knowlageable player).

you probably stand to lose a few bucks if you do dive in to the cash game world... Of course, the competition gets better as limits go up, so you'll learn much faster in a $1/2 game than in a .05/.10 game... but you don't have to break the bank to get a worthwhile learning experience.

here's what i went through en route to becoming a winning player:

-got hurt, had to sit on my ass for 6 months, and i was stir crazy after 2. so I decided i needed a hobby: I'd played cards my whole life... 31 for quarters with my gamblin' grandpa since age 4, cribbage, hearts, backgammon... i always destroyed my buddies in the litttle $10 home games that were played from time to time... online poker? i hear it's all the rage these days.

so i tried play money, hated it, lost my first $50, and my second... and my third...

then i found 2+2...

since then I've made over 10k and i've never looked back.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: What did you go through?

I agree with the others. Get on the real money tables. Prima or Pokerstars (no rakeback or bonus issues to worry about ruining for later).

I started at 0.05/0.1 and moved up every 10k hands or so. For at least 1k hands at each new level I only play one table to get "in tune" with any subtle differences (must be my age but more than 2 tables is too manic for me and makes the game too mechanical). I am now comfortable (both in terms of bankroll and psychologically) at 0.5/1 6max, and occassionally play 1/2 as the mood takes me. I only play about 10-15 hours per week for recreation (replaced computer gaming). Initial bankroll $30, currently $700. I want to gradually move up limits and increase the bankroll to show that my game is improving, but I am not in a hurry.

I started off with the Jones book (weak-tight 2nd edition) which wasn't as bad as a first introduction to the game as people make out. I very quickly moved onto SSHE, the cover of which is virtually worn off.

I have recently acquired TOP, HEPFAP and King Yao's book (not read the first two yet). I would strongly recommend you concentrate on SSHE: read, learn, play, read again etc. when you think you know everything there is to know, read it again.

SSHE provides a solid theoretical platform and is particularly applicable to the loose nano-limit games. If you read too many different books in a short period, there is a distinct possibility that their various teachings will confuse you (SSHE and HPFAP is a potentially dangerous combination for the unwary). Moreover, because of variance, you need to get several k hands under your belt before you have any real idea of your winrate.

I'm about halfway through Yao's book and there are a number of differences (mostly subtle) and some stuff that isn't covered too well in SSHE (eg. short handed play). A thorough knowledge of SSHE is useful in considering the differences and makes me think more about the situations discussed - which hopefully adds an additional layer of knowledge/understanding.

As with any endeavour, focusing on making money as a primary goal is not necessarily a recipe for success or happiness. Enjoy the game and focus on being a good player. Hopefuly the money will follow.