Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Taking blinds

In my experience (at buy-ins <= $22), a tight player's a tight player and a loose player's a loose player. The only time I find this to change is HU. I very rarely get sheriffed by a tight player.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2- Whenever someone steals a lot and then shows a strong hand when everyone folds, it makes subsequent steals less credible. IMO, they're doing the exact opposite of what they're trying to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er.. i think the obvious effects, are actually true. If you show [censored] hands after pushing/stealing, i think you get called more often, and if you show premium hands, i think you'll get more respect. I dont think people get into deeper levels of thinking than that.

Though, the effect is so tiny, andnot prove-aable at all, but that's what i 'feel' is right.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2- Whenever someone steals a lot and then shows a strong hand when everyone folds, it makes subsequent steals less credible. IMO, they're doing the exact opposite of what they're trying to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er.. i think the obvious effects, are actually true. If you show [censored] hands after pushing/stealing, i think you get called more often, and if you show premium hands, i think you'll get more respect. I dont think people get into deeper levels of thinking than that.

Though, the effect is so tiny, andnot prove-aable at all, but that's what i 'feel' is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it's completely psychological. Everybody knows you are stealing, and they are thinking about when they are going to call you down. Then you show those pocket Kings, and they think, oh [censored], I'm glad I didn't call you down on that hand.

So it doesn't fool anybody when you show your premium hands. But it gives them pause, and maybe buys you another free ride or two.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we view this differently. If someone shows trash after stealing/pushing, I tend to believe them the next time they do it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So it doesn't fool anybody when you show your premium hands. But it gives them pause, and maybe buys you another free ride or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a similae note, I always show when I get a big hand and a walk in the big blind. It might make it slightly more likely that someone messes with your blind.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:21 PM

When I show a big hand in a spot like this, it is because I want it to be in the back of their minds every time: "He's probably stealing, but what if this is the time he's got Aces? I know he'll play them like this. Better let somebody else stand up to him."

Seeing your good hand also lets the player who folded his blind reward himself psychologically: "Good fold, hoss, you're doin' fine. Got a nice stack, just don't do anything stupid." If he's doing what you want him to do (folding), and he's proud of himself for doing it, then you're doing something right.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I show a big hand in a spot like this, it is because I want it to be in the back of their minds every time: "He's probably stealing, but what if this is the time he's got Aces? I know he'll play them like this. Better let somebody else stand up to him."

Seeing your good hand also lets the player who folded his blind reward himself psychologically: "Good fold, hoss, you're doin' fine. Got a nice stack, just don't do anything stupid." If he's doing what you want him to do (folding), and he's proud of himself for doing it, then you're doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:26 PM

my strategy comprises of a give now, take later method to develop trust.. ie. if guy is on my left for a while, I'll give him some blinds when it's folded around, indicating I have discretion in what I call/raise with.. this will occur when at the current time, 200 in blinds or whatever is not a big deal to me.. but this is a good setup for a steal when either 1.) Blinds are bigger in relation to my stack and 2.) Taking the blind can separate me more from either the bubble or the other people on my table.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:30 AM

no but he's a cool dude i gather
Old 11-12-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no but he's a cool dude i gather

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it matters much, but I really enjoy your posts. Keep 'em coming.