Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Semi bluff on a scare card

My coach told me I should fold KJs on the button against an UTG raise, so this should be a pretty easy fold against a 14% PFRer
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My coach told me I should fold KJs on the button against an UTG raise, so this should be a pretty easy fold against a 14% PFRer

[/ QUOTE ]

The top 14% of hands are 77+, ATo+, KJo+, QJo+, JTs, QTs+, K9s+, A8s+ which is coincidentally the exact same range of hands I am raising UTG. This range vs KJs gives an equity of 43% to 57%. If one blind calls the 3-bet with 88+, ATs+, KTs+, AJo+ our equity is now 25%. You are right I should fold this. I always thought KJs was strong vs a PFR, but now I see I am wrong.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The top 14% of hands are 77+, ATo+, KJo+, QJo+, JTs, QTs+, K9s+, A8s+ which is coincidentally the exact same range of hands I am raising UTG. This range vs KJs gives an equity of 43% to 57%. If one blind calls the 3-bet with 88+, ATs+, KTs+, AJo+ our equity is now 25%. You are right I should fold this. I always thought KJs was strong vs a PFR, but now I see I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is with all the equity talk?

1- this player raises 14% of his hands total and is tight and aggressive. He is almost surely raising less hands in the worst position.

2- against a 10% range you are looking at more like 88+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,AJo+,KQo. Just looking at the equity doesn't really paint the whole picture here because you are dominated by JJ+ (18), AK (12), KQ (12), and AJ (12) and you only dominate KTs (3) and QJs (3). the reverse implied odds here are quite poor.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is with all the equity talk?

1- this player raises 14% of his hands total and is tight and aggressive. He is almost surely raising less hands in the worst position.

2- against a 10% range you are looking at more like 88+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,AJo+,KQo. Just looking at the equity doesn't really paint the whole picture here because you are dominated by JJ+ (18), AK (12), KQ (12), and AJ (12) and you only dominate KTs (3) and QJs (3). the reverse implied odds here are quite poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... I was agreeing that I was wrong initially, post illustrated that even if he was raising with the top 14% of hands I would behind. The fact that he is raising with less then 14% makes me even more behind.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM

preflop is fine. folding in a 6-max hand here is crap. investing an extra sb preflop is no problem with this hand given we could very well have 6 clean outs plus straight and flush draws. see the flop. play poker.

turn: wouldn't make a habit of it, but i really don't see it as a problem as long as you fold to a 3-bet. any premium hand that doesn't have an A or Q will have serious difficulties calling here, but i'm surprised if he had KK, he would even bet this turn.