Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: How to beat a player who seems lucky....

[ QUOTE ]
So you'll push when you think you are ahead and he calls? So you are giving him 2-1 odds to make a call when he only needs one card? You do realize that a call on a 4 flush on the flop only needs 2-1 odds to be a good call right? Add an OESD and he'd be wrong to NOT call.

Sorry man - but it sounds to me like you are not quite the poker player he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read more carefully. I said if I'm pretty sure he still needs two cards to make his draw I will push. This seems to be the only thing that will occasionally push him off of his draws. But he will some times call anyway and he catches his two cards a lot more than the odds would indicate that he should.

And don't even try telling me that he knows when he's getting proper odds. He openly states that the cards don't know what the odds are, so the odds do not matter to him. He also says that people who take the time to calculate odds and worry about position are reading too many poker books. If that makes him a better player than me, then so be it.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy will call any raise with any two cards from any position. He will gladly chase a flush when he needs runner-runner, and make it most of the time, no matter how much you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick it out.

[ QUOTE ]
You can raise 5x the BB with AA and he'll call you with 35 suited and end up catching his flush or two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be able to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
He simply ignores aggression and trying to trap him usually ends up backfiring on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bluff him. Don't slowplay him.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This guy will call any raise with any two cards from any position. He will gladly chase a flush when he needs runner-runner, and make it most of the time, no matter how much you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick it out.

[ QUOTE ]
You can raise 5x the BB with AA and he'll call you with 35 suited and end up catching his flush or two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be able to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
He simply ignores aggression and trying to trap him usually ends up backfiring on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bluff him. Don't slowplay him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the non-sarcastic and non-insulting advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Do you wear sunglasses while you play?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you wear sunglasses while you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, although I have once or twice. It requires putting in my contacts and I didn't notice that it gave me any sort of advantage.

A few weeks ago some friends of mine were holding a tournament and offered extra starting chips to anyone who showed up in their halloween costume. So I showed up with a Jason mask and wearing a pair of Raybans on top of it. Everyone insisted that I should wear it every time I play. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I must be bored to jump in this thread... another I can't beat lose players/games post.

[ QUOTE ]
As for my own play... I'm not too worried with my cash game play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What do you do against this type of player in a cash game? Avoid him also? These type of guys are one of the most profitable to have in your game. You don't want to avoid him, you want to engage him whenever you can. Tourneys you wait for a little better edge than normal since your tourney could be on the line, but then go for it. If he catches, oh well.

Given how you described how he plays, there is no way he is/will be a long term winner. He's on a shortterm splurge. Those can last for awhile.

I'd suggest spending much more time in the strategy forums so you can analyze his plays and see just how much he is losing longterm with his play.

b
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only move I know to make on him is to move all-in if it's a rainbow flop and I'm pretty sure I have the best hand at the time. Most of the time when I do this he'll fold because he still needs two cards to make his draw. He will usually show me his cards and say if he only needed one more he would call in a heartbeat. Although I've lost count of how many times I've seen him risk all of his money to catch runner-runner or a gutshot. When it looks like he only needs one card to make his draw I still bet heavy, the size of the pot or more, but I don't risk moving all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got you playing scared. If you think he needs runner-runner, you should bet enough to keep him in, not chase him out. Bet the pot and hope he calls.

If he only needs one card (gutshot, flush draw, etc), push and hope he calls. He's not getting correct odds unless he's got both the OESD and the flush draw at the same time.

You've got it backwards, and you probably have lots of other leaks that are costing you a lot.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:14 AM

he can play anything preflop because he can outplay you guys so badly postflop

my advice: he is most likely way better than you but is just messing around because he feels guilty taking too much of your cash. go learn the game, til then stress less, maybe even ask him for some tips if you are close
Old 11-11-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He's got you playing scared. If you think he needs runner-runner, you should bet enough to keep him in, not chase him out. Bet the pot and hope he calls.

If he only needs one card (gutshot, flush draw, etc), push and hope he calls. He's not getting correct odds unless he's got both the OESD and the flush draw at the same time.

You've got it backwards, and you probably have lots of other leaks that are costing you a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, on all points. I'm aware that my game has leaks and I'm trying to fix them.

One thing I'd like to clear up though.... Many people here seem to get the impression that I have no clue what I'm doing. This doesn't apply to you as you just gave good solid advice without sounding insulting in the process. I've been pretty open about the fact that I know my game needs help. I believe I have the basics down quite well. I've only been playing somewhat seriously for about 1 1/2 years now, but have reached the point that I've started a bankroll and I'm playing completely from my winnings. Out of all the people I know who play poker, only one other player can say the same thing. So I don't think I'm the idiot that some people seem to think I am.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I'd like to clear up though.... Many people here seem to get the impression that I have no clue what I'm doing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most people over here do not think you are an idiot. Maybe a victim to variance. Someone's ability to play poker has nothing to do with his mental capabilities.
Given the title of the post: How to beat a player who seems lucky.
Read Theory of Poker and KNOW what is written about long term and luck is the holy truth. Stick to your knowledge from TOP and punish the runner runner player with giving him terrible odds. Even when he hits his flush, be happy he chased. He will lose in the long run.
Good luck and stop being so results oriented, or you'll change into one of those donks who always plays JTo because he always wins (sucs out) with it.