Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Loosing on the bubble... Bad play?

You don't play MTTs much, do you? As a short stack, on a 5 handed table, I'd bet 95% of the players in this forum push this. And YES you DO want JTo to call. He can't wait for AA-QQ, he'll be blinded off in less than 5 orbits!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't play MTTs much, do you? As a short stack, on a 5 handed table, I'd bet 95% of the players in this forum push this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd push, stop and go or fold depending on the situation but it's certainly not an easy push.

[ QUOTE ]
And YES you DO want JTo to call. He can't wait for AA-QQ, he'll be blinded off in less than 5 orbits!

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Of course you want JT to fold.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, it's still a nice pot but don't you want JT to call and take the coinflip to double up and get in good positon against the other stacks? With the position villain is in right now, I want any card combination other than a higher pocket pair to call me.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, it's still a nice pot but don't you want JT to call and take the coinflip to double up and get in good positon against the other stacks? With the position villain is in right now, I want any card combination other than a higher pocket pair to call me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to get a call where I was a 60/40 favorite when there is 2450+2400(4850) in the pot and I got a stack of ~7400 left behind, while I also wouldn't mind not getting a call. Either way, I win a nice pot there. (if they fold, 12.5K and if they call and I win, about 20K).

Only thing I wouldn't want to see there would be an overpair, overcards don't worry me, and if he is loose enough to call with JTo there, then I am probably a favorite vs. his loose range, which would consist of alot of overcard hands and a few overpair hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:20 PM

This is a silly argument. 55 vs Jto is almost exactly 50/50. That means our cEV of having him call is 1/2 the pot or 9167. Our cEV of him folding is 12180. Not to mention this is the bubble and there might be cEV amd $EV disparities, which would make the option that has us busting out 0% of the time a much better one.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Your opponent is getting about 2.2 to 1 odds after your push, so he will call with almost anything being already committed, even though J10o is a marginal opening hand. In the heat of the moment it may be difficult to realize this, but by pushing he's almost always gonna call in this situation with no one else in the hand.

With such a low pair, I would either call PF due to being in position after the flop or fold being so close to the money. I would like to have a bigger stack playing 55 also (med/low pairs are dangerous with these sizes of stacks). But if you feel like you have to play every opportunity trying to win it all, calling PF with seems like the best play to me, cuz if for some strange reason he doesn't cbet the flop, he'll probably fold jack high to your postflop push.