Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Stars $25+2, lay down QQ pre-flop?

No one else's experience is that that specific "call me" re-raise is almost always AA/KK? Maybe I was being too weak-tight. Comments on how the rest of the hand went down?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

SB (t1505)
BB (t1870)
UTG (t810)
UTG+1 (t2190)
MP1 (t2070)
MP2 (t1120)
Hero (t2495)
Button (t1440)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t300.

Flop: (t1150) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: (t1150) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

River: (t1150) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1690</font>, MP1 calls t370 (All-In).

Final Pot: t4410

Results below:
UTG+1 has 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (full house, threes full of aces).
MP1 has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (full house, aces full of threes).
Outcome: MP1 wins t4290. UTG+1 wins t120.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 AM

i had almost this exact situation the other day. a relatively loose opponent goes all in short stacked, and a relatively tight solid knowledgable player with a large stack CALLS. i hadnt looked at my cards yet (live game) and said to a friend to my right I hope i dont have QQ or JJ. i look at my cards and have JJ, grit my teeth and call. solid player has AA.

this situation is a bit different. with your opponent raising it is more likely he has something like AK or maybe AQ or a smaller pair. calling does you some good here because if you commit your self now you cant get away from the board if an A or K flops, if you are so inclined. i think you have to call here at least, folding is close to out of the question given that the first player will likely call and you have less reason to put the solid player on KK or AA as he rerarised, although those hands arent out of the question of course. even if you said that he will only have AK, AA or KK here, which i believe is unlikely but lets say it, you are 16-12 to be ahead of him with a chance to get 2-1 on your call. and if he can have JJ or worse or AQ you do even better so how can you fold??

Pat

Pat
Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even if you said that he will only have AK, AA or KK here, which i believe is unlikely but lets say it, you are 16-12 to be ahead of him with a chance to get 2-1 on your call. and if he can have JJ or worse or AQ you do even better so how can you fold??

[/ QUOTE ]

If villains range is JJ+, AQ+ (and I don't think it's that wide, at least from a good player), and you assume he'll call a push, a push is -.1% $EV (not accounting for UTG+1's bet or the possibility he'll call and add dead money to the pot).

I consider calling here and dumping to an A/K on the flop, but that really seems worse than just folding.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 AM

To change things up a little, if MP1 pushes and then shows his AKs, what should hero do?