Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Aikido- good martial arts form if you want to know how to fight?

That is ridiculous. Aikido comes from a variant of aiki jujitsu; it uses circular sword/spear fighting movements and combines it with throws, takedowns, and various locks from combat jujitsu. The difference is Aikido stresses defense only. Its considered a peaceful martial art. No legit teacher of Aikido would ever teach you that you can use it to kick someones ass.

A very famous practitioner of Aikido is Steven Seagal. In a lot of his movies he performs various throws and takedowns from Aikido with big close ups. A lot of the techniques that the police use such as takedowns, arm locks, and knife defense come from Aikido.

If you are interested in Aikido, you might wanna consider Hapkido. I have a good friend that is a black belt in Hapkido and he explained that it combines traditional korean martial arts with japanese aikido. That is probably best out of the ones you mentioned since you can learn the offensive aspects of striking with your hands and feet, while being able to defend yourself with various throws, locks, and weapon disarming techniques.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not true, but if you can't, then don't try. Aikido is far more than just wristlocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, you got an avatar of two guys practicing Aikido. Is that a shiho-nage throw?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 AM

Learning Martian Arts is a waste of time. Just buy a glock.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that a shiho-nage throw?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes indeed.

I'm a little biased since I'm currently taking Aikido (although I have studied TKD in the past), but I like that you can dial up the damage of the throws in Aikido. Like with shiho-nage. If I want, I can change the angle of your arm and shred the attackers shoulder muscles. But maybe the attacker is a friend of mine who has just had a few too many and I just want to dump him on the floor without any damage. Striking arts tend to rely on accumulating enough physical damage that the person is rendered helpless. Not a very attractive option if I don't want to hurt that person much.

But if these are the only options the OP has, I guess Hapkido would be the best choice for "kicking ass" since it includes striking and throwing/grappling and is less likely to be a McDojo than the TKD school (TKD is notorious for McDojos).