Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Aces on Button, boring flop

[ QUOTE ]
So on any random hand, if I were to raise preflop, am I supposed to always fire on any flop that contains an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Often yes. This is why you raise (or 3 bet) preflop OOP with a marginal hand like 77. It just makes the hand much easier to play.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were to have a hand like KJ or KQ here, I would check the flop and fold to any bets on following streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a leak, especially at 10/20 where opponents will always bet if you check a few streets. I am often showing down a hand like KQ un-improved on a flop like this.

Back to the hand... I think betting the flop is a must, but if you really do check/fold after raising perflop on the button here then I guess checking is fine too. The rest of the hand is super read dependant as others have said. Against unknowns, I would bet/raise the flop, bet or call the turn, and bet/raise the river. Agains tcertain opponents it is correct to check behind the turn with quads. A good general rule I saw for quads posted in mid/high once is fast flop, slow turn, fast river.

Edit: shoulda refreshed before I posted, oops.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against unknowns, I would bet/raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge mistake. You kill all your action this way and only get money from charging draws. Much better to let somebody OOP bet the hand for you, then raise the turn or the river.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop, check the turn if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you also didn't see that Hero has the button?
Just bet flop, bet turn, bet river. Keep betting. It's 4-handed, someone will chase or have something. If not, then fine, you just get a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]yes, with 2 aces on the board 99% of opponents are calling down with a pp. why would you want to miss a bet.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM

This hand is different from an AcAhTs flop because plenty of people will want to call on this relatively safe flop. There is a flush draw, plus since there are 2 aces, it is less likely for others to hold them, along with the fact that the 3 isn't scary, and plenty of people will call with "overcards", a backdoor flush, or maybe some backdoor straight.

If the board were completely unlikely to hit anyone, you can think about possibly giving a free card (and even then you would want less opponents to do this).
Old 11-08-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with 2 aces on the board 99% of opponents are calling down with a pp. why would you want to miss a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I dont think this is true when you were the preflop raiser, and you bet the flop.

2. Even if you get a bet on the turn when you bet, you'll lose the bet on the river because a good number of these 10/20 opponents who limped with small pairs will check-fold on the river, particularly when the turn puts out another overcard to their pair (22, 44-66). Now if you check the turn, your more aggressive opponents with pocket pairs are going to bet out on a non-broadway river, and your more passive opponents are going to look you up out of curiousity given your turn check. So by checking the turn, you make as much as betting the turn, plus you get the opportunity to raise a bluff on the river, and you give another chance for somebody to make a second best hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the flop is a must, but if you really do check/fold after raising preflop on the button here then I guess checking is fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it is still very, very bad. you certainly cant assume that your opponents have noticed this (weak) tendancy of the OP.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM

How'd this get so many replies? Just bet the hell out of it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm not quite sure why folding KQ is a leak? I wouldn't call myself an expert shorthand player, but I don't think showing down with king high everytime on an ace high flop is +EV. Are we talking just one ace or two aces on the flop? Also, if I were to fire with KQ and I get called in two spots on the flop and then again on the turn, what's my river play?