Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: ($22) KJo flopped top two pair -- is my push correct?

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, when do you worry about sets on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the $22 level, worrying about a set against random players is pointless. The only time you should consider a set or a monster is when facing a solid player that you can read and put on a hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys. The fact that I was up against 2 players who both claimed to have a hand made me wonder if I needed to start worrying about sets. I'll be more confident about making that play in the future.

Regarding the many comments that I should have folded KJo preflop, thanks for pointing that out. I'm usually a very tight player, averaging 8%-10% $VPiP in the early levels. I was finding that when I did get a hand I could play, I frequently only won the blinds or maybe a couple bets from limpers before me. Last 50SnGs or so, many times I get to the bubble with a small stack and am forced to go all-in with Ax or 77 to keep from blinding out, without very good results.

I made a concious effort to loosen up my hand selection requirements in order to try to win more/bigger pots. I'm pretty good about folding mediocre hands. However you guys have convinced me that I'm not going about it the right way. Thanks, I'll go back to my tighter hand selections and hope for better luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't care for the preflop limp, though it's not terrible behind a limper, your position is pretty crap. Flop play, as others have stated, is perfect. But then again on this flop it pretty much plays itself. The tricky part would be if it had only come K high.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a concious effort to loosen up my hand selection requirements in order to try to win more/bigger pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a bad thing, but start loosening up only when you have position. Overlimp more hands on the button if you want to increase VP$IP. Then add the CO, especially when the button is tight and you often pick up the button by limping.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 AM

Thanks wuwei, this is definitely something I wasn't considering that I will be considering moving forward. Much appreciated.