Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Basketball or Baseball? Which refs/umps have the harder job?

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest thing in the world to officiate is junior high girl's basketball. So many violations.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. When I did these games, I basically swallowed the whistle and just let the girls play and have fun because if I were to officiate the game legit, there would be either a foul or violation every 10 seconds or so.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, in basketball most of the calls involved are judgement calls: did he actually get hit on the arm? did he push with his arm, or just use it to hold his position? did he come over the back? who initiated the contact? In baseball most of the calls are black and white - strike or ball? safe or out?

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, b/c in this year's playoffs alone there weren't any judegment calls [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I did these games, I basically swallowed the whistle and just let the girls play and have fun because if I were to officiate the game legit, there would be either a foul or violation every 10 seconds or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they going to learn? They get a whistle for changing their pivot foot, they think twice about it next time. Sure, they learn slow, but how else are they going to change those bad habits.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer to your question is basketball, by a huge margin. Basketball players work the angles like crazy because they understand the subjectiveness of any given call. Making the charge/block decision by itself is more work then having to decide whether a ball entered an area over a plate or whether a player caught a ball before another player tagged the plate.

[/ QUOTE ]
this thread is filled with comments from people that don't really know what it takes to be a crew in both sports obviously.

a field umpire is all about angles and angles only, and plays at the plate are about angles. why do you think they get calls right just about everytime when we are sitting on our couch straining our eye at a slow-motioned replay and then realizing they made the right call?

i am not saying which is harder, but i have done both and i will say that phsyically basketball is tougher but some major league crews have been working for 3 decades and don't know every intricacy of the game...how can the job be easy?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a field umpire is all about angles and angles only, and plays at the plate are about angles. why do you think they get calls right just about everytime when we are sitting on our couch straining our eye at a slow-motioned replay and then realizing they made the right call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about when I said that basketball players worked the angles. What I was talking about is how they try and get away with a lot of things and how they imbelish movements to try and get a call (ex...flopping when they are bumped into). IMO, this makes it much more difficult for the referee. There isn't as much of that kind of stuff in baseball.