Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re:Should you be more active early on in the 22\'s?

No... just because 2+2'ers are playing tight doesn't mean the whole partypoker network is.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: $11\'s to the $22

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good poker player, you'll be more profitable at the 22's than the 11's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is the 2nd time in this thread that somebody has made a statement similar to this, both of whom I consider respected posters (Bones and Slim).

Yet, so many other respected posters say it's non-sense to think one should expect more success at a higher level.

My thought would be the $22s might be more profitable, because you run into less madmen. But, if you think about it, that makes no sense, for the madmen will lose in the end and it is to our advantage to play against them.

Slim, are you saying the increment in net dollars is significant enough to offset any expected decrease in ROI? Thus making it more profitable?

Or are you suggesting a good poker player can have a greater ROI at the $22s than at the $11s. If so, please elaborate?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM

Except on the bubble, you don't want madmen, you want tight predictable players so you can get chips without a showdown.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said this in a previous thread - for some reason I can beat the 11s for an ROI of over 20%, but am in the negatives at the 22s over a couple hundred. I have no idea why, I think I am playing the same. Maybe it's just me, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance. The difference between 11s and 22s is small.

Just move up when you have the bankroll, when you feel you are soundly beating your current level (regardless of ROI...magnitude of ROI is overated and somewhat meaningless particularly as you are playing such a small number of SNGs as you move up) and feel comfortable losing 20-30+ buy-ins at the next level. For example, I cashed out my bankroll for gradschool and started over (a la stupidsucker), but even if I had the bankroll I would not feel comfortable dropping 5-7 grand at the 215s.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 PM

I tend to notice the most difference between the games in the middle of the day. $22's fill up with better players, while the $11's are still full of people who watch too much poker on TV. In peak times though I feel like they are both reasonably similar. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM

You've got it. I think your ROI will drop at the 22's, but not nearly enough to offset the added profitability of the bigger payouts. A lot of beginning players see ROI as success, but after playing a while, $/hr just feels better.