Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Hand from Stars 500k, do you call preflop? Lesbian penguins links

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I came for the penguins. I'm disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 AM

im in conserve mode with this stack and would fold pf. This is gonna be 4way, ur prolly 20:1 to get a flop you want to continue with here.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Hand from Stars 500k, do you call preflop? Lesbian penguins links !!

Without looking at others post, this is my 2 cents, David.

I would definitely play this hand pf. The question is to raise or call. Reraising from the blinds is pretty common way to pick up the dead money. Now, will Karthur call if you raise allin....probably not. But again, this is the type of hand you want to play multi-way.

I seem to call way too often in this position. I think you have pointed a flaw in my game. I need to isolate to win. I am definitely going to have to re-evaluate the "multi-way action" with hands like 76s, etc. I tend to build pots with these hands only to get beat on the river with a person holding J9o.

I definitely see your reason for posting this relative simple, but very enlightening post.

Stipe
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Hand from Stars 500k, do you call preflop? Lesbian penguins links !!

Ok, my reasons toward calling were:

1- The calling by LP does not look like a big pair to me, not even a medium pair.

2- My cards are most probably live and after calling I have enough chips (55k) to make the other 2 players fold in the flop if this is good to me.

3- Because of the dry pot, there is a decent chance the pot will be checked in the flop if nobody pairs.

4- I'm first to act in the flop, so if I play after the flop I'm going all in, and the other 2 players will have a tough call to make if they have just a little piece of the flop, lets suppose the flop comes 865, I'm pushing for sure, and if they have something like A6,K6, T8, they'll have a hard time to call in this spot.

5- And the most important reason of all, if I fold I have 64k, if I play and nothing happens, I'll have 55k, with these blinds 4k-8k; I think that's almost the same for me in the next round.

What do you think of these reasons?

FWIW I don't care about the implied odds here, for me its just a chance to move between 64k and 115k vs between 64k and 55k.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 PM

I think you're reasons are good for calling here, but I still think I fold. One thing I think should be mentioned is the BB (Karthur) here. I busted at your table a round or two before this and he was very LAGish. He is certaintly calling nearly any two here, and I think he's possible at pulling a squeeze and putting in another raise, so at least some of the time you will lose 9k chips without seeing a flop.

Also, since Karthur was loose, I doubt he folds a hand like A6 on a 865 flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 PM

but even when you get the guys to fold on the flop...

you still have to beat the guy thats all in, i'm sure you'd be a favorite vs his range whenever you catch a piece of a flop, but i really dont think you win here often enough for this to be good.

[ QUOTE ]
for me its just a chance to move between 64k and 115k vs between 64k and 55k.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, it's also a chance for you to move from 64k to 0.
-

Also, i think the difference betweeen 64k and 55k is pretty decent, especially since your'e going to be doubling up soon , and those extra 9k turns into 18k etc.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
for me its just a chance to move between 64k and 115k vs between 64k and 55k.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, it's also a chance for you to move from 64k to 0.
-

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, yes, there is also a chance to move from 64k to 170k, and from 64k to 225k
Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 PM

yea alright. I still dont think you hit enough flops that you like, and even when you do, you're going to have to show this down.

i don't think theres any doubt this is -cEV, and i think those 9k chips are more help than you think.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 PM

I understand your point exit and probably you're right. But I would like to see more than a feeling on this. But I guess it's a hard problem to solve. But I disagree with you with the "no-doubt negative cEV"; I don't think it's that clear. Usually when a poker problem is clear, it's easy to prove it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 PM

edit: posted prematurely by mistake, doing the math out.

gimme a few mor eminutes