Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Why do many pros preferr limit to no limit?

You said "The strategies from these two are vastly different so you'll need some "re-education" to get your Limit groove on. (fundamental differences occur such as big cards gain value in Limit and small suited connectors lose value in limit, generally speaking, etc)"

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I would think it would be the other way around. In limit, I would think that suited connectors gain value, since you will often get a good price on your draw, whereas in NL you often make a mistake in calling a pot sized bet for a draw. It seem that it would be the other way around??
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The relative lack of variance is a key as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is my understanding that LHE has much greater variance than NLHE because you can't get your money in when you have the nuts? I read this somewhere, could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit has more variance than NL. And to make it worse, youhave to "embrace" the variance in limit, that is you have to really push small edges. NL is more about pushing big edges.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit has more variance than NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
VulturesRow, was my reasoning correct above? Why is this the case?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in no limit if you run into the wrong hands with the wrong stacks at the wrong time you can lose 10 buyins in a session easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are having -10 buyin sessions at no-limit then you really need to re-examine your strategy. This simply should not happen at small stakes.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 AM

The Fossilman hates Limit, I don't.

But I prefer No Limit, Full Ring Limit is like factory-work. It bores me so much I go crazy after a hour.

Shorthanded limit i do like. Especially on 2/4 or 5/10 where people sometimes even lay down hands to a check-raise on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 AM

What is the pro to do once the poker boom ends and NL dies again?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 AM

i started out playing limit. on Absolute Poker.
i would two table 2/4 or 3/6 full table, and 1/2 6max table.

since a common limit stagedy is playing big hands, at a full table you not playing as often, unless you get a good run of cards.
at the 6 person table which may drop down to 3players or stay at 6, you gonna see more flops, cause your staring hands decrease. This kept me busy, and payed pretty well.

its about the same as two tabling NL.
Now i two table NL low tables and can win more becuase generally people buy in way to high with no idea how to play, and try to bluff like they were on espn

although i still make the same amount roughly, its alittle more fun, and less of a grind
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the pro to do once the poker boom ends and NL dies again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Feed off the lesser, wannabe pros
Old 11-07-2005, 07:31 AM

In full ring SC could be among the best money makers if the table is loose, but in a very tight game or shorthanded game low SCs sucks because the pots doesn't get big enough to give you the implied odds you need. In shorthanded limit big cards rock I think
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Random thoughts from a former limit grinder burnout who has been playing NL for the past few months and loving it:

1)No limit has much less variance than limit. Especially at 25 and 50nl, losing sessions are very rare. Good for your ego!
2)An NL pro has a huge advantage over a newb since he has infinately more control over the pot odds and can deduce what is going on in the hand better.
3)At limit, it's only a few more bets so it's harder to get say 4 people to fold so if the pot is huge on the flop it's hard to win it right there. In limit, a nice pot size bet in to 4 people will probably let you know where your pocket Aces stand right away.
4)If it's just a job to you, grinding away for hours on end is going to burn you out. Try something new, if not another form of poker.
5)A nice base for a NL bankroll (not your only income) is 20 buys in. If you lose all of that at Party 25 and 50, you're doing something horribly wrong. A bankroll for say 3/6 is 300 x 6=1800. I cashed out a lot of my limit bankroll and paid off some bills once I switched to NL.
6)Clearing bonuses at Party(if ever again) and former skins is very quick at NL. The pot only needs to hit $2.
7)Suited connectors and small pairs can bust a preflop raiser in NL who can't fold his overpairs. Just make sure you're getting the right odds and understand implied odds.

That being said, if you like limit, more power to you. You should be able to play both these days. It will make you a more well rounded player.