Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: River Line w/ KK vs LAG

i guess betting is best cuz its sorta similar to a clarkmeister situation and you will be called by worse hands, but i really dont know what to do if you are raised

i also really dont like his turn raise, a lot of villains will raise AK on this flop, but then again QQ is a possibility, as well as other holdings

i think this is really close between check/calling, bet/calling, and bet/folding, im leaning toward bet/calling, but that might be spewing
Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good reasoning.. In my opinion I would have to rule out AK. An maniac player in 3/6 raising the flop to get a free card? Would LAGs do a sophisticated play like that with AK on this board? He needs a Queen to hit the nuts and A or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, although LAGs don't often raise overcards + a gutshot because they want a free card on the turn, they do often raise simply because they have overcards + a gutshot.

Edit: The villian in the following hand didn't have position on me -- actually, I had a nice seat at the table, before he left (and then I did too) -- and no draw was involved, but I just played this hand, and I think it more or less illustrates what I'm talking about. I mean, we all have hands like this one:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (17.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.70 BB

Results:
BB doesn't show.
MP2 has 8s 7c (two pair, sevens and threes).
Hero has Qd Qs (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.70 BB.

I guess I'd be happier about this hand if I had raised the river, but I started worrying that Villain had some random 3.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion I would have to rule out AK. An maniac player in 3/6 raising the flop to get a free card? Would LAGs do a sophisticated play like that with AK on this board?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a LAG is the most likely opponent to try this raise, a thinking opponent would realize that it wont work, also the free card raise isnt all that sophisticated of a play, but i dont know if a LAG would actually take his free card if he was offered it