Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Advice with this hand? Pocket fives with overcards flop.

Everything looks fine except for the preflop raise. When I see PF lines like this my first thought is, "Am I totally missing something?" Then my second thought is usually "No, its just that this line is no good." IMO, you need 77 to open raise here.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Advice with this hand? Pocket fives with overcards flop.

I don't think you should raise with this hand from MP. Reason being, by raising you will shut out exactly those hands that are supposed to pay you off when you make a set. By only calling, the two most likely scenarios are: you get several callers behind you, in which case you most likely need a set to win. Checking after the flop and watching the betting and calling back to you again will advice you on this; or you get just a few (or just one) caller behind you, in which case you 55 might hold up unimproved. Most likely, if your single opponent didn't rasie, he is on draw, or have a low pp himself. You will find out by betting out, or more boldly check raising on the flop, or more boldly still, check call on the flop, then bet out or check raise on the turn.
In your case all board cards are higher than your fives, of which at least the T and Q is likely holdings for your opponent together with an A. I would release on the turn.
/T