Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Gigabet\'s Dilemma vs Pushbotting : Worth it?

Did you read Irie's primer on it?

If not you should.

But then you should still forget you read either of them.

Yugoslav
Old 11-05-2005, 04:58 AM

um ouch?

I respect your opinion, because you obviously are better than I (not to mention a myspace pimp), however, I would really love it if you would tell me why you seem to think that Im too stupid to understand it (if thats what you're implying).

No hard feelings, but I really think I understand the lower level of what he was saying, and the higher level isnt important till Im playing at Giga-level buy-ins.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:10 AM

There was nothing arrogant about your post at all. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

Bumbling through this concept a while back, I came up with a "visual" of sorts that helps me to decide tough decisions.

I think of an equalizer. Like on a music system where the bass, treble and mid-tones are displayed. Like stacks of chips, each representing a range of tones.

Draw a line directly across the mid-tone and you have an average chip size. Those above the line are "extra" chips, those below are chips "to be", or chips that will add more bass or treble as the mid-range disappears.

Since I don't want balance and am aiming for all bass (or all treble in the end), I will use the strength of the over/under concept regardless of how the music sounds in the meantime.

GoofyMcUpTooLate
Old 11-05-2005, 05:12 AM

Huh?!

No it has nothing to do with you being able to or not being able to understand. It has to do with the apparent worth of understanding and then being able to apply. It's the type of thing that is waaaaay too easy to screw up and hurt your ROI than to help it (and at lower stakes I'm not necessarily sure it is that helpful at all).

Certainly become familiar with stack sizes and their affect on the table and how it will play. Let the stack configurations govern your plans and how your future plans will change once the configurations change. But trying to squeeze profitability from Giga's concept of block theory (or as I always termed it before his post, chunking) is just going to be painful. I ignore it for all practical purposes entirely.

Read Irie's post that sums it up, I think he's closer to distilling it than anything else I've read on the subject.

It may be helpful to understand what is going on from a theoretical standpoint...but I doubt there is much practical worth for almost all winning players. Neither do the very good players I know. Hell, 1/2 of them think the whole thing is complete rubbish (while I admit confusing, I don't think it's rubbish).

Sorry, I'm a bit tired and worn down tonight....I got treated to all the lobster+shrimp+booze I could handle tonight by one of our vendors....and then he ended up screaming at the managers of the restaurant we were at.....blows were almost had but I physically pulled him away just in time (even drunk he knew he couldn't be physical with his client, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

Some of what I'm saying may not be coming out clearly....[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
PS You mention 'lower level' of what Giga is saying....if you mean he is saying something crucially valuable to lower stakes STTs...it's just not there....hell, the CV may not even be all *that* helpful in those games.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 AM

yeah, I got the same picture for the lower level of what he was saying, and for the upper level, I dont think you draw the line across the middle exactly, because its not a hard number, its kind of an "inflection point" that defines your ability to make certain plays... and if you're just above one (playing normally) and below the one you want (being able to dominate) then you should take -EV and try to get up there.

However, an earlier poster made a good point, at the levels I currently play, I dont need the second level of thinking, since Im not going to be against very good competition.

Drunky McNameTheif
Old 11-05-2005, 05:16 AM

yugo, thats what I was wondering, what you meant by "forget it".

thats cool, I understand what you mean. I just am addicted to higher-level thinking and like new metagame concepts, or viewing them in a new light.

But yes, it did make me look at stack sizes in a different way, which may just be the most important thing to consider in STTs at my level.

by lower level thinking I was talking about that - stack sizes.

okay, Im kinda hurtin now, and rambling, and I think me and yugo are kinda posting on top of eachother here.

btw, that night sounds interesting, I want a full report on my forum by tomorrow morning!

(either in OOT or here, please!)

GOODNIGHT!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:11 AM

I think if you are a better player than the rest of the field, it is worth it because if you lose, you have enough chips to rebuild and still be a threat. If you win, it's a simple steamroll over the rest of the table until you win the tournament.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are trying to learn basic SNG strategy right? Forget that post and maybe come back to it in a while.

That's my advice, for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely correct. Gigabet's post is only for people who have mastered all the basics, because:

A) It will cause you to make what seems to be -EV plays

B) It comes up only rarely

Get everything else right first. I can only think of one thread on here where I took Gigabet's theory into account in the last few weeks and it wasn't even my own hand. It hasn't come up in very many of my recent sngs either.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:33 PM

As far as stickies go, you can save a thread as one of your favorites if you want. I think a lot of the stuff you want to see is linked in The Shadow post which is somewhere in the FAQ or something.

Why don't let us know some more about what games you have played, for how long, what you are playing now and stuff?

I read through some of your old posts to check on this stuff and couldn't find it too easily, but I think you might end up being buds with pergesu if you hang out here long enough.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:19 PM

Eh? Pergesu?

hmm, thinly veiled insult?

Okay, I played around 5k sngs at the $11 and $22 level, was doing fine but just got bored (I didnt keep track of stats, but looking at my account history thingy, it seems that I was around the level discussed in the faq).

I then tried the MTT grind, learning alot from ExitOnly, and did that until one night of awful variance, but I still made some cash. Well after taht, and for a while now, I've been bonus whoring cash games, and it has totally ruined my SNG game.

Thats why Im saying Im not a complete noob, but I really do wanna go back and learn it all correctly.

Um and someone please take the retard (me) aside and explain the Pergesu thing... was it compliment, insult?