Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Question on advice from Rebuen/Ciaffone\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! That was my answer as well. Raise for info. and to isolate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising just for information is usually very bad play in NL. This is very bad in this particular spot cause the only information you will get is "ship it babe" from one of the players behind when you stick the rest in into their set with your potcommited hand.
Beside this what kind of information you think you will get ? If players behind you call they have you beat, if they raise they have you beat if initial bettor go allin , maybe hes semibluffing, or maybe he has you beat as well... looks like plenty of useful info.

Now "isolating". It sounds stupid to me what do you actually gain by "isolating"; nothing that have you beat folds. Underapairs and onepair hand will fold. What an achievement ! They had 1-3 potodds and you just made sure they wouldnt make a mistake of calling with some crappy 1pair. Good poker.

Seriously, you should reconsider basic concept of poker. You bet to make money. You call to make money. You fold to avoid losing money. Not for some imaginary "gaining information" or "isolating" bullshit.

That's all. Flame away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 04:55 AM

sup board texture what?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call. Say its NL 5/10 full game. Effective stacks 1000

One limper, you make it 45, four callers, limper calls. 270 in pot. Limper leads flop for 200. If you raise, your pot committed. More importantly, you can get bushwacked by everyone waiting behind you. They now cant make a mistake, and you stand to get lose your whole stack if anyone behind you calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this explanation but is $200 into a $270 pot considered a medium-sized bet?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Beside this what kind of information you think you will get ? If players behind you call they have you beat, if they raise they have you beat if initial bettor go allin , maybe hes semibluffing, or maybe he has you beat as well... looks like plenty of useful info.

Now "isolating". It sounds stupid to me what do you actually gain by "isolating"

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the information you mention above not worth obtaining (i.e. who's willing to play, who could possibly be drawing)?

Maybe I'm thinking along the lines of a tourney player instead of a cash player. And if it's wrong to raise in a tourney here, well then ignore that theory please [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 12:21 AM

Sorry, no board texture. It was a direct quote from the book...and I realize that it's not much to go on.

I'd like to raise to not give cheap cards (as well as gather a little info. which one poster doesn't care for) if the board is dangerous.

But perhaps I've discovered a leak in my game as I can see the valid point of not committing quite yet if at all. I guess if you're deep enough like I assumed this question was talking about (I don't think Reuben plays small), you'd still have a chance to get away from it if you raise. On a short-stack or not so deep, definitely not.