Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Aces cracking part deux...

fives full. So I was [censored] from the flop LOL. In fact I had the 3rd best hand as MP1 had the 8...

fair enough, its my first day back after a month or so off for a variety of reasons.

I planned on c/r ing the turn, but doing that after a harmless deuce falls looks odd. I wanted to keep this pot three handed. I felt that MP had an 8, and that hero had some overpair. When MP lead the turn, that changed things for me. I suspected a raise from Hero, had been pretty aggro so far in the session, and obviously liked his hand. The two shouldnt scare him if he has a big pair.

Donkbets arent particularly scary either. I didnt want to lose him with a raise. When MP 3 bet, i knew a call/cap from me kills action. Calling again can assure me 1 bet from hero on turn, and at least 2 bets total on river.

On river, i thought i can get 1 bet each from mp and hero by overcalling. But i knew MP would call a raise, and maybe 3 bet. I hoped that hero would coldcall what looks like a very odd bet. Either way, im just coming back and advice'd be nice.

thanks,
-light

OOps, had 55

Probably A8 or 55. In that case I think you played the hand quite well in fact. I love donk-betting turns with monsters. Idiots like me advocate raising the turn and hence make you a lot of money.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:02 PM

I agree with what others have said about how MP1's turn donk-bet looks suspiciously like an attempt to bet/3-bet. However, I'm not sure how much it is or isn't influencing me that I can see that the 3-bet actually came.

To some extent, it's a question of how much respect we have for MP1. A lot of 2/4 players with trips or a flopped boat would slowplay the flop and then checkraise the turn. Others would just lead the flop.

Here we have one who apparently planned to checkraise the flop but then abandoned that idea when it got bet and raised anyway (a check/3-bet would give his hand away). After that, I think the turn lead is a good play, but I don't know how many 2/4 players would handle their trips or flopped boat the way MP1 did.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:05 PM

In general I think the best strategies for this flop should involve check-raising a single bet on the flop and donking a lot of turns. You should be willing to raise on the flop if it looks promising. Check-three-betting in this scenario likely would have killed to much action in my opinion, though. So I like the way the hand actually played out for you.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Light was the CO.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey,
I was CO in this hand, and was just about to post this hand.
What did you put me on?
I particularly liked the way i played it, but we can argue that at another point. I hoped that youd pay off a river raise with a big pair.
-light

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in an awkward position on the flop, since any checkraise of the field on this board will be scary. But I think I would have gone for a checkraise, hoping at least to get a call or two or three from overcards before showing strength.

All of a sudden on the turn you're in an awkward spot again (though it's a pleasant surprise to have MP1 wake up like that), and I can see why you called. If Hero smells a rat and also just calls, though, that's really bad for you, since you're most likely at least getting called by MP1 if you raise (and possibly you're getting 3-bet).

The cold-call of the 3-bet is a little bit risky, as if by some chance MP1 has 22, you don't want Hero hanging around with his four outs, for just one bet. But your play is +EV those times that MP1 has trips instead (as he usually will, I think), so long as Hero would fold if you capped and so long as MP1 is going to start calling down versus any additional raise from you at this point.