Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: To call down or not to call down, part 1.

[ QUOTE ]
you also said you were inclined to cap, which makes no sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think by capping preflop you learn alot more about villians hand post flop. The raise means good, not necessarily great. Capping says to villain you're committed to the hand, and will make it much less likely for him to get out of line, eliminating the need 2nd guess a turn or river fold.

Also, if we assume villian has an TT+ and AQ+ 3 betting range (reasonable for a SB 40 game, right?) Your positional advantage should compensate for the small amount of times your dominated by AA or AK, and makes the hand easier to play post flop.

Does any of that make sense, I might be way off here...

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 PM

I think capping preflop is crazy.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think capping preflop is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can live with that, but why?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM

Problem is he is not equally likely to have all the hands in the range you suggest. I think many players will call with TT but almost all will raise with KK.

I also fear domination pretty strongly here. My gut feeling is AQ is overvalued (by me at least) in raised pots.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is he is not equally likely to have all the hands in the range you suggest. I think many players will call with TT but almost all will raise with KK.

I also fear domination pretty strongly here. My gut feeling is AQ is overvalued (by me at least) in raised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right about AQ, but is there any merit in 'purchasing' ease of postflop play with 1sb preflop when villian can't put any more bets in? If not, then I guess capping is crazy

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM

I like that purchasing theory with a hand like TT because it might get a fold out of JJ in some circumstances but I am not sure about AQ because you probably won't be getting a fold out of better hands when you hit your overs.

Not sure if this makes sense but you having position throughout the hand has to come into the equation and I think it makes it less necesary to get the last bet in.

Not really related but when I was first learning the game I folded AQo to a raise very frequently. I recently have just three bet it almost automatically but I am now coming around to thinking maybe I better fold in ep to a tightish raiser.