Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL... only $100 buyin at AC

Not much..PPs maybe, but I generally raise/fold with these stacks.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM

I have played at Trump Taj last weekend. 1/2 NL. Max buy in is $300, most buy in around 80-200. Game is very loose passive, very rarely do I see good timing bluff. I don't think you will get bullied by buy in 40bb. I actually prefer to buy in less to start with until I get comfortable with the table.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Play at the Sands. There won't be any bullies there I promise you. The Taj and Borgata have some decent players on the weekends during Peak times. Not great, but decent. Can't speak for anywhere else.

I say this as someone who isn't that good at No Limit. I think with half a mind about the game you'll do fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play at the Sands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why at the Sands? What sets it apart?
A lot of people have been telling me the Borgata is pretty loose...
Old 11-02-2005, 04:04 PM

What exactly is the 5/10 rule? I've tried playing at borgata with $100 stacks as well as at the Taj, and honestly it makes it harder to play in general. From my point of view, as with online, if you swear you think you got the best hand, don't be afraid to push, make them call in order to outdraw on you. I've read poker books that suggest if you're going to play cash games, you should buy in for the maximum, mainly to make your presence known, and make them feel like they are the ones that are the underdogs at the table. Who would think that a big stack size is a bad player?

BTW Dave, what exactly is the 5/10 rule?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 PM

yeah foxwoods has a 1/2 nl $100 max game but the preflop bets are frequently 5xBB+
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

I think a major disadvantage to buying in short in these games is your inability to protect a hand. When playing live at these stacks, you should be raising to $15-$20 with a hand like AA-QQ and it is not uncommon for 3+ players to come along for the ride. These hands pretty much play themselves out post-flop though and don't require much skill or brainpower.