Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Harrington is Wrong Here?

[ QUOTE ]
Exit, would you mind elaborating on why this hand is wrong?

My thinking is that 5-1 pot odds isn't that great because hitting a Q or 6 doesn't really guarantee you the pot at all. You're still far from a lock. Second of all, I'd much rather push first in a few hands if possible.

The only way I'd consider calling is if the table is so aggressive that there is a raise before it gets to me every single hand and I can't get any folding equity by pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, go back to the 94o hand i posted a lot about, one of the reasons that the math came out to make it even close, was that our stack was DEEP. We were risking 20 chips, to win 1500+. Here Harrington is risking something like 1200 ro win 4000. His implied odds suck, his hand sucks.

The Q might be good here, it has some high card value, but calling still sucks.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Trips, 2 pair, spade flush draw, and if it's 1 on 1, my queen alone might be good enough, depending on how he reacts postflop when I pop him with a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, a REraise?? meaning you would have to bet out on the flop, then he raises, then you reraise? hot play

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me after working 7 hours into the morning, my mind isn't the clearest, I meant bluff check raise, not many situations call for a bluff reraise, but I have had a few where it worked against a hyper aggressive player.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:48 PM

How can you bluff check-raise and get him to fold? The pot is ~8000 chips preflop and you only have 5800 chips. Even if he bets 1/2 pot your checkraise is only 1800 chips into a 12000 chip pot. No chance he's folding.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:12 PM

I'm sorry I must clarify, I haven't even looked at the original post since posting and reposting. In this situation, it would never work. Deeper stacks, it could sometimes depending on who and how much. In this case, if I bluffed at it, it would be an all in on a ragged low board hoping noone has a pocket pair. Even then, I'd have to have good reads, and probably would rather have at least a pair there to even think of making a move at the pot.