Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: txag007: Bible content 1

[ QUOTE ]
Before I explain what the Bible says about slavery, though, I want to make an important point about Christianity. There are certain laws given to the Hebrews in the Old Testament that we, as Christians, are no longer bound to today because of the sacrifice of Jesus in the New Testament. Think of it this way: God is completely, 100% holy. He, by definition, is good. He is so good that one has to be completely "clean" or holy to even be in His presence. Obviously, no one can accomplish this, thus the sacrifice of Jesus. In the Old Testament, however, certain laws given to the Hebrews were intended to keep them "clean". (Not eating pork, etc). Slavery is not one of these laws, but I wanted to make this important point anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is getting completely crazy. I think this forum simply can not be titled "Science, math, philospohy" with so many posts and threads look like this one. It's an embarrassment for all: Science, Math AND philosophy.

Call it "Christians discuss The Bible in a simplistic way" forum and that's it. You are insulting your own intelligence with these discussions, people. It's really sad.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Therefore, it could be argued that God wasn't telling them to own slaves, he was telling them the proper way to deal with one of the day's acceptable practices."

Oh cmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I was playing devil's advocate (Ironic...) and that was absolutely the best I could come up with.

Im glad I can make more concrete statements about atheism.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So to conclude, you do not believe these verses on the page opposite the 10 commandments are applicable today.

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you get from here...

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, you must not believe that those verses are the divine omnipotent word of God?

[/ QUOTE ]
...to here?

[ QUOTE ]
Given the certainty that those verses do not support your belief, this must cast into doubt the validity of the whole book?

[/ QUOTE ]
In order to discredit Christianity, one must first understand it. You've shown from your comments in this post that you lack some very basic Bible knowledge. Please don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean it as an insult. I'll elaborate tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So to conclude, you do not believe these verses on the page opposite the 10 commandments are applicable today.

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you get from here...

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, you must not believe that those verses are the divine omnipotent word of God?

[/ QUOTE ]
...to here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a divine word of an omnipotent God would not be influenced by human culture at the time. He's just 'too omnipotent' [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] to take what we think into account. His ethical views cannot have changed, because that would mean they were once wrong, and I don't think your God is allowed to be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Given the certainty that those verses do not support your belief, this must cast into doubt the validity of the whole book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we have shown that the content of the Bible is not the word of God.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because a divine word of an omnipotent God would not be influenced by human culture at the time. He's just 'too omnipotent' to take what we think into account. His ethical views cannot have changed, because that would mean they were once wrong, and I don't think your God is allowed to be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason the laws to the Israelites are not applicable today is because they were instructions to a specific group at a specific time. This is what I meant by it being a cultural thing, not that God was influenced by human culture. Quite the opposite. We're not bound by those instructions now because a)we're not Israelites and b)we're not wandering through the desert.

What you need to understand about the Bible is that it is NOT as simple as you seem to want to make it. The Bible is NOT a "1, 2, 3 step" book of morality. It is NOT a "God's Little Instruction Book". It's complicated, and that's why there are entire degrees devoted to studying it.

To put it simply, the Old Testament teaches us about God and why the sacrifice of Jesus was necessary. The New Testament fulfills the prophesies of the Old Testament.

The bottom line is that you haven't come close to proving what you think you have.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To put it simply, the Old Testament teaches us about God and why the sacrifice of Jesus was necessary. The New Testament fulfills the prophesies of the Old Testament.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will the next testament address, if it doesn't already exist? I am sure some people make that claim, the way the xians did.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What will the next testament address, if it doesn't already exist? I am sure some people make that claim, the way the xians did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormons.