Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Corporate Pressure To Legalize Alcohol for 18+

Marlboro greens would not be as addictive as Marlboro Reds, so the profit motive isn't as great as it is with Tobacco.

Also, the paper companies, the drug companies, and the anti drug crazies combined are a much more powerful and rich lobby than the Tobacco companies.

At a certain point a poliican has to think that the benefits of Tobacco company campiagn money is not more helpful in getting reelected than the money of the industries I just named combined with the way in which such a bill could get spun by the opposition.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM

I'm not saying its a religious issue, and yes most of the reason the drinking age is 21 is secular. However, conservative religion has long made alcohol into a "demon drink" history is full of attempts to ban this on moral grounds. I think most soccer mom types who favor drinking ages have this idea that alcohol is bad in the back of their minds.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM

There is a big difference between banning something for religion or morals. While they can go hand in hand, people who think drinking is morally wrong aren't necessarly religious.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM

obviously. I never said anything otherwise.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:11 PM

so I can't agree with you?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 PM

Is anyone else convinced that 'weatherman' is a 2+2 conservative trolling as a caricature of a liberal?

[ QUOTE ]
puritanical america is a crazy place. Logic and common sense is tossed out the window for sake of christian ideology.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, bunkie, it was a Democratic Senator from New Jersey who proposed the law to make the national drinking age 21. It was conservatives who, initially, vigorously opposed this law. Until everyone realized duh, teens drink and drive and get in fatal accidents more than any other age group, so lets do what we can to fight that.

Second, in your well educated and informed opinion, where does common sense, related to a national drinking age, get thrown out the window? And how is that related to the teachings of Jesus Christ?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Your always the one to bring up party lines etc. News flash: Democrats = Republicans in my opnion. I'm above your blind following of the party line.

Most European nations have extremely lax drinking laws and have far fewer alcohol related driving accidents. This is mainly due to the small percentage of under 21 drivers. However a big part of this is increased responsiblitly brought on by a social embrace of alcohol.

In one town I visited the townspeople pay for a hangout room in the village. This came complete with a fully stocked bar (paid for on the honor system). This allows a safe environment where parents know where there kids are and no one has to drive anywhere. The ridiculous conservatism that is fairly inate in most american's minds would prevent any thing like this from ever happening in america, even though common sense and logic would dictate that it is a good idea.

Oh, and it's theweatherman.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marlboro greens would not be as addictive as Marlboro Reds, so the profit motive isn't as great as it is with Tobacco.

Also, the paper companies, the drug companies, and the anti drug crazies combined are a much more powerful and rich lobby than the Tobacco companies.

At a certain point a poliican has to think that the benefits of Tobacco company campiagn money is not more helpful in getting reelected than the money of the industries I just named combined with the way in which such a bill could get spun by the opposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd get money from the all-night mini-mart and pizza lobbies too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
idealogy means nothing in the face of captalism and market forces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ideology is one of the most powerful market forces in the world. Try selling booze to a Muslim sometime, let me know how it goes.

NT
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
puritanical america is a crazy place. Logic and common sense is tossed out the window for sake of christian ideology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drinking is unchristian? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]