Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: God Created Us \"In His Image\"?

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that they believe when they take Communion, that the bread turns into the ACTUAL flesh of Jesus, and the wine turns into the ACTUAL blood, right? That's pretty nutty... even from a Protestant point of view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from nutty, the institution of the Holy Eucharist is the greatest gift Christ left the Church prior to His death and resurrection. It's an awesome thought, really, that every time us Catholics witness the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we see God before our very eyes. Explainable, no.

Incredible, absolutely.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:24 PM

no, still nutty. I'm pretty sure most other Christians say, "this bread and wine represents Jesus giving his body and blood for us", not, "this is the real flesh and blood".
Old 10-29-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Far from nutty, the institution of the Holy Eucharist is the greatest gift Christ left the Church prior to His death and resurrection. It's an awesome thought, really, that every time us Catholics witness the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we see God before our very eyes. Explainable, no.

Incredible, absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that a graduate of West Point, and thus presumably a high ranking US military officer, is capable of making himself believe this has me scared shitless.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Incredible, absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that a graduate of West Point, and thus presumably a high ranking US military officer, is capable of making himself believe this has me scared shitless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously , you are saying this is not the case. How do you know? Can you prove it? If so, please do so for my benefit and Country.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:43 PM

No, I cannot prove a negative. Nor can I prove that the religious zealots who flew planes into the WTC towers are not [censored] virgins and laughing at us non-muslims as I type this.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I cannot prove a negative. Nor can I prove that the religious zealots who flew planes into the WTC towers are not [censored] virgins and laughing at us non-muslims as I type this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so. I thought maybe I was missing something.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:18 PM

Supported by scripture? Unlikely.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:21 PM

And those two things are roughly equivalent.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously , you are saying this is not the case. How do you know? Can you prove it? If so, please do so for my benefit and Country.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be easy to prove that the bread turns into flesh or the wine turns into blood. I've talked to Catholics about this, and ... never got a firm answer. But, if it does indeed turn into human flesh & blood, then just test it for DNA. If it's not there, then it's not flesh. If it is, then I will become a Catholic cannibal... not because I like eating flesh & blood, but because that would be sufficient evidence for me to believe in miracles, and thus, God.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:55 PM

God's image is one of unconditional love (Greek: agape, which is totally others centered. When God created the universe and all the living beings His goal was to have an agape loving family for eternity. We were created in His image to have the capability to be a part of His agape loving family.