Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Re: to BESSPLAYER of PartyPoker (NC)

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason i am posting this here is because this person has somewhat decent stats over almost 1000 hands. If anyone knows this person pass this on to him... SHUT THE F- UP AT THE TABLE. you scared my fish away. YOU DO NOT INSULT YOUR MONEY!!!. whoever this guy was, he started trashing on my 72/28/3 $300 (75bb) fish. so my fish got up and ran away. This is applies to anyone with a mouth on them.... i understand bad beats sucking and every now and then i may make a smart ass remark BUT I DONT SCARE THEM AWAY especially when they have a huge stack in front of them and they are cold calling and three betting hands like KT. thats just my two cents...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. I've seen this guy doing this for ages and it surprises me that he actually has ok stats.
These days chat is off.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:39 AM

It's very advantageous to type a little nh when a fish sucks out on you.

It's always advantageous to get the bully to argue with you and stop berating the poor players.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I have my chat off. I would spend too much time defending the fish. For those who havent seen this: Joe Tall Fish Story

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing a lot of information on your opponents by turning chat off.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:39 AM

Venting rants is one thing, but we spend time here to improve teh Poker. It's very doubtful that player is here. Stats or not, they are not a very good player from what I've seen.

If you want to help the situation, you can do 3 constructive things:

1) Email Party poker with a complaint, specifically detailing the player's name and 'foul language'. Party will do something about it, see their reply quoted below.

2) Right-click, disable chat for the specific player.

3) Participate in occasional courteous chat with the players at your table, ignoring the foul player, and contributing to a friendly atmosphere at your tables.

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you for contacting us.

We thank you for bringing to our attention the use of foul language in the chat box. We will address the situation immediately and block the players chat.

In future you may also send us a screen shot of the offending chat so we can take the relevant action.

To take a screen shot:

1. Press the print screen key on your keyboard. This captures the image immediately.
2. Open a new MS Word document and paste this image by -
a) Pressing "Ctrl" key and "V" key on your keyboard at the same time.
OR
b) Right click on the Word document and select the option "Paste"
Attach this document to your email and send to info@partypoker.com

When playing at the tables you can block a player chat from view in the chat box by simply right clicking on the players name at the table and selecting 'disable chat'. Obviously this is an interim measure prior to our intervention.

We do not tolerate the use of profanity at our tables and treat it as a serious offence and thank you for helping us to maintain a positive atmosphere at our tables.

Note: Please do not disclose your password...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 AM

I would type "BESSPLAYER STFU". I have found this to be pretty effective, the table coach will focus on you and the fishies like it b/c you're sticking up for them.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Turning your chat off is a horrible idea. Information is your friend. As a wise man once said "THANKS FOR LOSING THE INFORMATION WAR".

I'm not prefect when it comes to yelling at fish. Some of it is a slightly emotionally immature calcuation of "yelling at this person will help me release tension and I'll likely play better and my playing better is worth more to me in pure EV than the loss of the fish or any changes in his play".

I've also gone after a few players who I simply didn't want at my table. The weak passive type who don't raise TPGK and keep every pot small. My basic thought was "at this limit, if this person leaves, they're likely to be replaced with somebody more profitable". Again, this isn't something I'm proud of, and I don't think it's a great idea, but it's that slightly tilted logic that I employ once somebody's flopped a set and never raised and I experience the dreaded "pot sliding wrong way" situation.

I agree that yelling at the fish isn't a good thing, but I think for the most part people on 2+2 tend to overstate its negative affect. I also think that in general we tend to ignore how poker can twist our emotions, and don't always consider the most effective ways of managing that. I think there's a better way than just becoming emotionless drones who are unfazed by what happens, because while that's a great goal, that's simply not who we are for the most part.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason i am posting this here is because this person has somewhat decent stats over almost 1000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got him pegged as tight-passive/passive, with a total aggression factor of something like 0.6. He wouldn't get sucked out on so much if he adjusted his play a little.

You're right, though. This guy is all over 2/4 berating the bad players. So much negativity . . .
Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that yelling at the fish isn't a good thing, but I think for the most part people on 2+2 tend to overstate its negative affect. I also think that in general we tend to ignore how poker can twist our emotions, and don't always consider the most effective ways of managing that. I think there's a better way than just becoming emotionless drones who are unfazed by what happens, because while that's a great goal, that's simply not who we are for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though we know the fish are our friend, even the most emotionless dronelike of us get ticked off when we've card dead for 2 hours and finally get AA and flop a set and get chased down by a fish with nothing more than a gutshot. But I find a simple "nh" or maybe "well played" goes a long way towards calming my nerves without spilling my emotions all over the chat window.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM

The question Dids is whether or not he loss of information costs more than the increase in frustration and distraction that having the chat on causes.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:11 PM

Fair point.

I'd say that in this aspect, learning to control your emotional response such that you can view chat and gain that information is an important step.

Moreover, I get good information from chat with a far greater frequency than I see people yelling at fish.