Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: $2/$5 Live Tough spot in weird hand

I had bad feeling that button had me beat, but I pushed. He almost convinced himself that I had A7 but called with 107. (BB had A10).

One of those situations where postion killed me.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 AM

"The button who is one of the best players in the room"

"He almost convinced himself that I had A7 but called with 107."

I think you need to re-evaluate from best players in the room to NIT.

You lost $200 in a 2/5 game with trips... Don't beat yourself up over it. There is no way you should ever be getting away from this hand, especially if you think you have the BB killed.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:51 AM

If he's the best player in the room, the things you say to describe his game do not make any sense to me. The best player in the room will not lay down a good 7 here. The best player in the room will call the flop with 89, AT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and a bunch of other possible hands, too. You don't say if there is flush draw on flop so I assume no? But it just seems like way weird the way you say he will play. You guys only have 40bb! I think it is pretty obvious that you should call and be very willing to get all in. This game structure sucks hard by the way.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 AM

That is what I did for the reasons you said his range of hands was too wide, but I think he would have been more aggressive with some of those hands to find out where he was. He does not play that way against all players, but we generally try to stay out of each other's way because there is much easier money to get, so that is why I leaned towards a 7. Maybe I am over analyzing and being results oriented, but I don't think so. Against players you play with a lot sometimes you have just have that 6th sense. But in the end I came to the same conclusion, I couldn't justify to myself getting away from this hand for 40 BB. I'm only kicking myself a bit for not trusting my gut. I agree that the blind structure is not great, but as long as the game is approached correctly it isn't that bad. In fact there are enough players who don't adjust to the structure that it can be a +EV for those who do. (playing correctly imo is to tighten up preflop standards until the game starts getting deeper)