Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: An Observation: Betting Speed = Tell

[ QUOTE ]
Any information garnered from the speed with which someone acts online is inherently suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

By and large, this is my stance. There are simply too many factors that can affect how quickly a player acts online.
(Connection speed, multitabling, phone rang, reading 2p2 etc.)

However, I do agree that most of the time the player who insta-checks has lost interest in his hand and is not likely to check-raise you. I don't give as much credit to the insta-bet or insta-raise, because 1)I think they are more likely to be influenced by other factors and 2)I think that more people try to use them to be misleading.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:07 PM

I notice when a super passive "mouse" or "fish" insta-bets, he really wants me to call. I've been right 60+ % of the time.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any information garnered from the speed with which someone acts online is inherently suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider the following from Neverwin (a 100/200 pokerstars player)

[ QUOTE ]
Online clicking tells is my forte, and there are endless clicking tells, even to the point of seeing emotion...I mean sometimes I could actually see the guy throwing something, or banging his hand against his desk, then pounding the raise button. I will not give out all the secrets of clicks, (I'm sure you can understand why...it would definitely hinder my success), but my advice is...watch closely to how fast, slow, the stall, ect. and try to figure out what it means (how is it related to the type of hand they hold)...even payoff a bet in the beginning if you see something new!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 05:21 PM

preflop is cake and i frequently have an autobutton clicked knowing i have a good hand to raise or fold with. so whether i have a strong hand or not, my quick bet may or may not fold a better hand, but i usually have a decent hand anyways so the quickness of my bet only confirms what my action is already saying.

postflop: only the flop to i usually have an autobutton clicked. NEVER do i debate a made hand until time runs out because this is just goofy and i see more people play good hands like this especially if they take forever and then raise. dumbest "move" ever thought of- though i guess it might work against dumber people. i try to play as i would live: same motion, same reaction and timing whether i have a decent hand or not.

i do think about some debateable plays whether to call or raise or fold. that actually is hilarious because people think i'm "slowplaying" or something when i'm in serious debate. this actually wins a lot of times.

yes it is a tell, but rarely do i put much stock in it. and pretty much it only "folds" my questionable hands anyways. if i'm staying in, i'm in whether you take forever or do it quick because i base my play on reads outside of "speed of clicks".
Old 10-25-2005, 05:24 PM

I vary my click speed postflop on purpose. I never auto-raise anything postflop though I'm guilty of aut0 check-folding with regularity.

If I'm isolating light pf I usually try to get the raise in quickly regardless of where I sit. If I have a premium hand I usually manually click raise a little slower similar to how anothe rplayer might isolate. I like these subtle deceptions and think they work sometimes but if someone was paying close attention to this they could get a tell on me.

I agree that the surest tell is the auto-check which means the player has check/fold clicked. If you are HU postflop and the person raises too fast it either means monster or bluff, never in between in my experience. The frequency that it is a bluff usually makes calling +EV.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM

Normally I find you are right, someone using the auto raise/bet checkbox has something big, and by using those buttons is attempting to look like they are bluffing.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM

If you believe in timing tells I have a sweet pattern mapper you might be interested in.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is risky. You're assuming that the person you are "reading" has a fast connection, with not enough happening on his PC to bog him down, and that he's not playing 8 tables and involved in three hands simultaneously.

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM

Two out of three times the "instant" guys had the best hand. One time I had, but his hand was ok too.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been right 60+ % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Do they send you a note saying, "Thanks for calling, that's what I wanted you to do"?

Two-thirds of the time people in this forum don't give their opponents credit for knowing the value of the 2 cards they are holding (and I don't mean as a poker hand, I mean "is that the 7 or 9 of clubs?"), and yet you're willing to give them credit for acting in a certain way to influence your re-action? This is preposterous.