Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Live Hand Check-ups

[ QUOTE ]
No, I was just saying that I usually like to 3-bet MP opens in that spot, so I was curious why he just called. I was also throwing it out there to see what other people do in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]BB was a weak player and I didn't mind having him come in. The cold-call is not very common for me, especially on the button, but I saw an opportunity to be a bit deceptive. My image had not been great, given I was stuck at this point, and MP knows that. With a 3-bet, the spotlight would be back on me and I wanted to change things up.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Hand 1. I wouldve reraised preflop, but other than that I thought you played your hand very well post flop.

Hand 2. You have just 2 opponents who have both checked in this small pot, I think a flop check is not a bad play at all. The times I would make this play is if I was against 1 or more aggressive opponents whow would take a stab at it on the turn once checked around on the flop. Against two calling stations your better off just betting the flop and hoping they call. I dont know what kind of opponents you are up against, but there are definitely times when checking this flop is correct.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 AM

stop floating at commerce, that's what the bad commerce regulars do.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 AM

"Yes! Turns out the "call" preflop, was a little deceptive."

I should have been more clear...my point was that there are not many *made* hands, and therefore the probability that OP is pushing a draw goes up in the opponents' mind. To make these semibluffs work, it helps to be representing a specific hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:02 AM

Hand 1:

Preflop: 3-bet. The whole hand changes from there. But going with the cold-call:

Flop: Raise. Hope to pick up a spade and check behind on the turn. Of course, it'd be awesome if you make your straight, ace, or queen. If you make an ace or queen and are check-raised, I fold. I can't imagine you're beating any hand that c/r the turn if an ace or queen hits. But given that you called:

Turn: Raise.

River: Fold. What hand are you beating? You chop with AQ, you lose to AA, AK, KQ, JJ, TT, AJ, AT. He doesn't have KK or QQ. He's betting into you after you raised the turn! You cannot win this hand.

Personally, I think he has AJ.

Hand 2:

Flop: Bet. It's Commerce. They won't fold. And if they do, meh. You're missing too much value here. Given that you checked:

Turn: Beautiful.

River: Bet. If you were against a made straight, you would have seen a cap on the turn. You're very likely ahead against very loose aggro MP. If he c/r's you on the river, I fold. Unless you think he's having a burst of aggro and bluff-raising the river. Which he's not. So I bet the river for value.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Default RESULTS - usual for me

HAND 1: I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Reraising the flop was a close decision. Raising the flop for a free river was a close decision. Regardless, I was doomed from the beginning. BoxTree nailed it, MP had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and takes it down with two pairs. Hard to fold for one bet when I hit one of my outs.

HAND 2: The whole point of this hand was pretty elementary, I know. Bet or check the flop. Still not sure. The river killed me, that I knew for sure, for it counterfeited my two pair pretty clearly. MP likes to raise turns when he hits top pair. He had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and takes it down with a higher two pair. BB tells me after that he had AJo and I folded his winner. Yea, good for me...sort of.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 PM

I like hand one.

in hand two, if I'm going to limp with a hand like 89s and flop top two pair, I'm definately going to be betting at the pot on the flop.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: RESULTS - usual for me

[ QUOTE ]
The river killed me, that I knew for sure, for it counterfeited my two pair pretty clearly. MP likes to raise turns when he hits top pair. He had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and takes it down with a higher two pair. BB tells me after that he had AJo and I folded his winner. Yea, good for me...sort of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh...I didn't realize that the river paired the other three. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Yeah, you have zilch now. It's somewhere between check/fold and check/call. Probably check/fold, but that's easy to say now that I know he had a Jack. Anyhow, if the river is the deuce of diamonds then I like my river line. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]