Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Meta and Future Value

Hi Box,
[ QUOTE ]
If I raise here, he's not likely to give me a break in the future...

[/ QUOTE ]I completely understand your situation and your overall dilemma. What I don't understand is where in this hand do you actually see that he gave YOU a break?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To anybody who plays live poker and has any people reading skills this is an easy fold. You should usualy be able to tell when a guy is flat out lying to you. If you are 100% sure that this guy would never take a shot at you and would give u breaks, I would in turn give him a break sometime. Dont make it a habit and dont do it with anybody else in the pot but its part of live poker, especaily when you play everyday with the same guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say you'd give him a break sometime, what ways are you looking to do this? I'm sure there are better ways than others to do this that cost you less but look just as generous to your opponent.

Edit to add/ I'll often show my hand in a session when I have a very strong hand and showing won't give anything away about how I'm playing. This is in hopes that someone will softplay me later in the session. I assume what you're talking about is similar but on a bigger scale where you play the same people day in and day out.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Box,
[ QUOTE ]
If I raise here, he's not likely to give me a break in the future...

[/ QUOTE ]I completely understand your situation and your overall dilemma. What I don't understand is where in this hand do you actually see that he gave YOU a break?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't call the river bet because he told me I was [bad] beat. Had he bet the river without saying anything, I call without a second thought.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit to add/ I'll often show my hand in a session when I have a very strong hand and showing won't give anything away about how I'm playing. This is in hopes that someone will softplay me later in the session. I assume what you're talking about is similar but on a bigger scale where you play the same people day in and day out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your edit is a perfect example of how I'd try to induce a softplay in the future.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't call the river bet because he told me I was [bad] beat. Had he bet the river without saying anything, I call without a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]Box, I don't see this as being nice at all. He's just playing poker. Are you overlooking the fact that he BET into you? If he were being "nice", he should have checked and then warned you not to bet because he "gave you a bad beat". Instead, in my mind, he made a smart-ass remark and was indirectly showing off to the benefit of the other players. He deserves a raise (should you have had AKs with the nuts) in my opinion, not courtesy.

As you can see, I don't play the nice game because most players don't do it out of courtesy, they do it out of fear. They don't give a rat's ass about how they sucked out on you, so why should you worry? Now, unless you are a little old Korean lady that loses thousands of dollars a year to me. Then maybe...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Box, I don't see this as being nice at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't being a sweetheart, but he was effectively telling me that I didn't need to call him with my now crappy AK. He wasn't afraid of JJJ, and he was giving me a chance to save a bet.

I'm certainly wary of Greeks bearing gifts, but tribers giving me a break? Well...maybe it had something to do with a recent New Year's resolution that he made. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, he was certainly being nice. He was giving me a very good chance to save a bet. He wasn't going to hand it to me on a platter, though.

And after the fact, he still showed me his flush even though he specifically said he wouldn't.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you can see, I don't play the nice game because most players

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't most players. He was a very good player. And a genuinely nice guy who wasn't lying to my face.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you can see, I don't play the nice game because most players

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't most players. He was a very good player. And a genuinely nice guy who wasn't lying to my face.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good player doesn't say what he did.
-James
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A very good player doesn't say what he did.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at Commerce.

"Very good" is much, much closer to "isn't an idiot" than "expert."
Old 10-24-2005, 10:02 PM

I am also a very good player.