Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: I need a mentor (lc)

I guarantee if you start playing 8 tables all problems will be solved (just as long as you can click that fast).
Old 10-24-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have pokertracker? If not, get it now. Its about $50 and is more than worth the money. As well as getting stats on your opponents you gain the ability to easily review your play and to look where the leaks are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, PT was an easy buy and is indispensible.

I also subscribed to PokerEDGE for a while. It was useful in ferreting out good tables without having to build up player history in PT. But apparently Party doesn't like PokerEDGE now, and PT data is pretty darn good, so I let PokerEDGE go.

I should probably go back to PT and look at the last couple of months of data; haven't done that lately.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I should probably go back to PT and look at the last couple of months of data; haven't done that lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of playing your next one or two sessions, do a Pokertracker review of the hands that you won/lost the most money with over your last 10-15 sessions. You should see some trends that will help you identify leaks and strengths.

For example, I now avoid JT like the plague. I have lost a lot of money with them and I will not play them again until I get a better game plan together. I also learned that I am a pretty darn good set miner.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Remember that winning players can expect 8PTBB/100 at these stakes. So if you're playing 25NL and you're only up $4 after 2 hours of play, you really should be happy. I realize adding tables can add to your win rate (as long as your play doesn't suffer too much when multi-tabling). Just don't expect to win $100 a session at these stakes. There will be times when you will win this much, but you can't expect 100+PTBB/100 all the time.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I'm all too aware of win rates and overall earn rates for good players. That's part of the problem -- 4-tabling 25NL and doing it well can earn me, what? $13 an hour?

And so we're back to impatience. As a very wise man once said to me in another context: "Stop looking for a short cut. You think this way will take a long time? THIS IS the short cut."
Old 10-24-2005, 02:59 PM

No one says you have to start at NL25. If you have a 6 figure salary then you can probably afford to pop 1500 on Party and open up two or three tables of NL100 and get cranking. If you aren't getting your money in with the best of it, post some hands and try to see where you're going wrong. Personally, I was able to focus well at NL25 because I deposited 500 and told myself that I would never deposit again so if I lost it I was done with poker forever. Thankfully, I was able to build it up (I also cheated a bit by getting rakeback into that account and also a few HH reviews paid for into that account, but whatever). But if you dont have the patience to work it up from NL25, then just jump into NL100 or whatever. At that point, the money starts to get decent and 'worth it', IMO. And if you crush NL100 for a bit, you can move up to NL200 and NL400 where the money can actually start to make a lifestyle difference which is at least my personal goal with this stuff.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one says you have to start at NL25. If you have a 6 figure salary then you can probably afford to pop 1500 on Party and open up two or three tables of NL100 and get cranking. If you aren't getting your money in with the best of it, post some hands and try to see where you're going wrong. Personally, I was able to focus well at NL25 because I deposited 500 and told myself that I would never deposit again so if I lost it I was done with poker forever. Thankfully, I was able to build it up (I also cheated a bit by getting rakeback into that account and also a few HH reviews paid for into that account, but whatever). But if you dont have the patience to work it up from NL25, then just jump into NL100 or whatever. At that point, the money starts to get decent and 'worth it', IMO. And if you crush NL100 for a bit, you can move up to NL200 and NL400 where the money can actually start to make a lifestyle difference which is at least my personal goal with this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear! Wiring it in now!

Seriously, appreciate your giving legitimacy to an option I've considered but so far rejected on the basis that if I can't beat 25s, for whatever reason, then I'm not ready for 100s. Maybe I am ready and maybe I would focus much more carefully given the stakes. I probably still won't do it, but I'll give it some serious thought.

Now I'll do what you really wish deep down I would do, I'll stop replying to my own thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I'm all too aware of win rates and overall earn rates for good players. That's part of the problem -- 4-tabling 25NL and doing it well can earn me, what? $13 an hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being a nit but I actually think it's closer to $8 or $10/hr.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:25 PM

So you demand that you play successfully? Patience and Discipline! Quit thinking about success in terms of money and think in terms of making +EV plays. If your plays are consistently +EV then you will be a long-term +EV player. A very long, slow, often boring process. Fold, fold, fold, limp-fold. Patience and discipline.

Contact BobboFitos here on 2+2.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:54 PM

I make a good living too.
I also do not have all day to play the game.
So I play about 2-4 hours or so a night after work.

I am *not* a good player, but I'm better than the fish that I play with.

I found that moving from the 25NL to the 600NL helped me focus on the task at hand.

I was a very conservative safe player.
I played the 25NL for a few months and then I moved up so I could clear a bonus faster. As the due date for the bonus approached I moved up again so I could get it done in time.

I made the jump from 25NL to 600NL in one day.

I found it helped me to focus.

I have a better $ win rate at 600 NL (only 2500 600NL hands than at 25NL 10,000 hands) Most of the reason for the ease of moving up was getting hit by the deck for 1000 hands at first (121ptbb/100 win rate)

There are down sides too, you must be able to lose over $600 in a pot to an idiot.

I also found it much more fun to play 1 game of 600NL than 8 games of low limit

Has anyone else found that they played better after they moved up?

Has anyone else jumped from NL25 to NL600.

Am I an idiot for jumping so quickly?