Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Pretty straightforward hand, but i\'m lost.

I'm raising this preflop, too loose?

Doc
Old 10-23-2005, 10:32 AM

You are not wrong in calling preflop but a % of more call than raises is correct. postflop your raise is a good move and his call shows a good chance he is drawing (incorrect call on his part coz the pot odds werent there). his bet on the turn showed strength and your call may have been incorrect. why call on turn if you wont take it to the end, the river card would rarely of improved your hand.

i wud of quit after his turn bet, strong reason on why he took control in the betting
Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 AM

Theres pretty much no way in hell i'm folding to his bet of 35 w/ TPTK. I called because i thought there was a decent chance i could get a cheap showdown, with what was still somewhat likely the best hand. But i probably should have raised to 100 or so if i was going to do that.. becuse if he 3 bets, i have an easy fold, and if he doesnt i get checcked to on the river, and get to decide to value bet or take the free showdown.

So, on the turn i think i should hve raised, i'm still not sold on folding/limping/raising PF though. I can see good points for all of them.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 AM

In a loose, weak STT (and believe me, there are plenty of 109s which qualify, not just the 11s), a good bit of your profit will come from playing solid cards and outkicking your opponents. So, you'd like to play AQ because you dominate many opposing Broadway hands and are only dominated by one such hand. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten all-in with AQ on a QTx flop and been shown QJs (no flush draw).

However, two unsuited big cards have huge negative implied odds. While you will often make a good hand, you will rarely make a monster. So, an opponent with a fabulous hand (such as a set) will have a great opportunity to win a bunch of chips from you if you hit TP. Now you might say, "No problem, I'll fold if the action gets too heavy." The problem with that approach is that many donkeys will take the same betting pattern with QJ as with TT on a QTx flop, treating both like the nuts. So, if you avoid going broke to a set, you'll fold reasonably often when you have your opponent crushed.

The solution to this dilemma is to "always" raise when entering the pot with unsuited high cards at low blinds. This raise thins the field, but equally importantly it reduces your negative implied odds. Let's say you raise to t60 at the first level of a PP STT and get two callers, one of whom is the BB. There are now t190 in the pot, and you have T940 behind. The flop is QTx, and there's now too much money on the table for you to get away from your hand. Of course, if your opponent has called your raise with a queen, he's going to be forced all-in by the natural progression of the betting for similar reasons. So, against loose opponents who call raises with KQ or QJ, you'll stack them far more often than they'll show you a set or suck out.

Compare with a starting pot of t55 when you limped. Now, if you bet your hand in a normal aggressive fashion (e.g. betting 40 on the flop, 100 on the turn, and 200 on the river), you will not get all the money in by the river. So, you only end up all-in when your opponent loves his hand enough to raise you. Not good for you, because your odds of winning the hand decrease as the amount of action that you get increases. Negative implied odds in action.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:08 AM

IMO the hand was played alright...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 AM

I'd raise pf, but otherwise your line is fine..

Erm actually, no I wouldn't looking at it. I thought you were in a later position. Sorry. (Although sometimes I do raise here.. it depends on my mood and the table, a limp is fine, too)
Old 10-24-2005, 05:39 AM

I think this was played perfectly.

I raise AQ lvl 1 in LP or out of the blinds, but limp in EP. Basically, I raise once I'm almost positive nobody has AK.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was really considering this, and think i might start folding this that early.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't do that. You can definitely play AQo for a profit from any position in a $10. Or a $20 for that matter.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was really considering this, and think i might start folding this that early.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't do that. You can definitely play AQo for a profit from any position in a $10. Or a $200 for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 AM

I do admit I have folded AQo UTG in my life in certain situations (and may have been wrong to do so), but never w 10-15 blinds in a spot like this.