Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Strategy for a table full of calling stations

yeah, you're probably going to want to give up the continuation bet for one thing. They're not gonna lay it down, so what's the point? only continutation bet if you connect to the flop.

Also, I'd be more inclinded to limp from late and middle position with stuff like low PPs and Axs, especially if no one else is raising pre-flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strategy for a table full of calling stations

[/ QUOTE ]

Value bet.

Adam
Old 10-22-2005, 03:17 PM

I am not a regular poster or I'm sure as experienced as many others here, so certainly take my advice with a grain of salt. I do, however, regularly play very low limit NL hold'em on FTP. Primarily $10, but starting to move over to $25.

The tables at this limit are definitely loose. People call too often, bet too often, bluff too often. Plenty of folks do so without even attempting to make a read or pay attention to who is in the hand (though certainly some do). Plenty of folks also like to gamble with large preflop raises that are in no way justified. Obviously, not as many hands are going to hold up with many callers, but you will be paid off more when they do.

My adjustments for these games are as follows:
1. I limp more often in spots I would raise, especially in early position or with people already in the pot. Most of these people aren't going away so I prefer to see if I hit the flop before I commit too much money.

2. When I do raise preflop, I often raise for one half to one full big blind in order to punish reckless callers. Since I've tightened up on the hands I'm raising with, this seems entirely justified.

3. I make less continuation bets - certainly I still make some, but since there are generally more callers any kind of bluff is going to be less successful. Therefore if I don't have at least a strong draw or there are more than two callers, I usually do not continuation bet.

My basic theory of low limit is that people will pay you off (sometimes inexplicably) when you get a great hand, so don't put a lot of money into the pot until you get one. Don't be afraid to call with one either, because often the bettor will have very little.

Leadpipe

*edited*: my many typos
Old 10-22-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other ideas would include:

1. Specifying in your post that you are referring to NO LIMIT. (thus, the advice that others gave about reading SSHE is a bit moot if this is your primary game)

2. Work on your post-flop game.

3. Read and post hands in the NL-SS forum.

4. Realize that sometimes you will win and other times you will lose. Starting with a premium hand pre-flop does not entitle you to a victory. If you miss the flop then you miss the flop.

5. Did we mention 'Value Bet'? Well...it was worth repeating anyway.

6. Consider reading Ed Miller's short-stack NL strategy in the book Getting Started in Hold'em. It's a good start for those who are having trouble making correct post-flop decisions in their NL game.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Granted, I'm playing on low tables full of terribly loose players. I usually raise preflop with primo hands, but when three people call behind regularly what do you do? I'm playing around with the idea of only raising with AA KK and sometimes QQ and AKs in first position. Any other time I limp in because I know I won't be able to isolate or bet everyone away.

What would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just play my game. I might toy with the idea of raising even more, to see if I could still get the callers, but probably not. Why mess with success?

Your idea of sending coded messages about your hand with bet size is way off base, for a couple of reasons. One is that your opponents will break the code unless they are totally brain dead (a possibility, I admit). The other is that the fact you are getting so many callers implies that people are calling with hands like K-10, Q-J, etc. If you have AK off or KQ suited, don't you WANT them to call? They are just giving you money. If the board happens to hit you both, they may give you a LOT of money. Take it.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:02 PM

<ul type="square"> [*]try the small stakes pot-limit &amp; no-limit forums at this site (on the left menu bar) [*]Buy a book on NL (check the FAQ at those forums i mentioned) [*]post specific hands where you think you got lost (but don't tell us if you've won or lost the hand, that doesn't matter) Just post the hand and let others judge your play (not your results)[*]Use bisonbison's hand converter for changing your hand history text to a readable format (anybody have a linky to it??) [*]practise practise practise [/list]
Old 10-23-2005, 11:48 PM

Push a few times. That'll break 'em from sucking eggs.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 AM

Value call your nuts? err value bet them? both? what? ...?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:34 AM

bluff as much as possible.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 AM

get hard knowing these donks will give you their money

use erection to hit bet button

repeat

fish + erection = $$$$$$$$$$$