Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Why is 3rd place % supposed to be higher than 2nd?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this Lori. Are you saying that you should get more 3rd place finishes because of the times you sneak into the money where you would have otherwise busted in 4th?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Also, when you get a tourney where you get chips, you should finish 1st more often than 2nd, so 2nd gets neglected a little.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd is the red-headed stepchild?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you knew two such strategies, it is clear which you would take.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the answer I'm looking for. For some reason my feeble little brain couldn't think of this. My sample size is most definitely too small to come to any real conclusions based on my finish distribution, but I was just curious to see if there was anything I should be worried about.

I still think people are too quick to tell others that their finish distribution isn't what it should be when 1st and 3rds are higher than 2nds, but it makes sense now.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what's wrong with having a finish distribution 14-14-12 instead of 14-12-14 or something like that? [ QUOTE ]

Either way, that's a pretty crappy distribution. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that seconds should be replaced with thirds but that seconds should be replaced with a combination of firsts and thirds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread was over here.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:46 PM

I always had about equal 2nds+3rds with a signifigantly larger number of 1sts. I used to have more 2nds, but that trend has been slowly changing towards 3rds.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Same here. I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing. The OP just misunderstood the idea.

My 1st/2nd/3rd this month is 75/46/50.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Same here. I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing. The OP just misunderstood the idea.

My 1st/2nd/3rd this month is 75/46/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I understand that the 2nd place finishes are supposed to replaced by an equal number of 1sts and 3rds. I just assumed that getting more than 15% 1st place is unreasonable so if you get that many firsts I didn't see why it's inherently the case that you should have more 3rds than 2nds. It makes sense that there is probably not a strategy that can produce such results.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 AM

The way i see it, having a lot of 3rd shows that you are good at getting in the money, having a lot of firsts shows that your shortgame is strong. But having a lot of seconds could actually be an indicator of a weakness in your game, because you are losing a lot of heads up battles. In other words, a 2nd place finish % equal to your 1sts and 2rds is not showing that you are good at being final two, but rather that your heads up play needs work.

When it's down to the final 3, you can think about it as it's own tourney, where 3rd gets nothing, 2nd gets 1 buyin and 1st gets 3 buyins. So one 1st place equals 3 2nds. That's why it's so valuable to win as many heads ups as possible.