Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Great Quote by Vince on the WPT

Several players have told me JTs is their favorite hand because they can catch both above and below to make a nut hand. So I think it is true that "some players" regard this as one of the best hands.

I like Vince on the show. If they were trying to preach to the already converted, I'd prefer a more knowledgeable player, say, Jimbo, or Tommy or Sklansky or Mason. But to attract new players to the game, I think Vince is great.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:16 PM

Once again, I'll say I'd still prefer Gabe Kaplan.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:50 PM

Andy if I had been one of the commentators I would have said "Some players think Shana Hiatt has the best pair in poker" so I might have some appeal outside of the poker world as well. ")
Old 06-05-2003, 01:53 PM

Dynasty, are you questioning the silliness of saying JTs is a great hand or of saying Jerry Buss played really well?

To me, one comment is dumb, the other is stupid.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM

I've seen many posts on 2+2 that promote the opinion that JTs is better than AA. I think I can safely say that *many players* consider this hand to be an excellent hand. Of course, I can also safely say that *many players* are morons.

The fact that *many players* hold an opinion does not make that opinion correct. VVP was not making a value judgment or endorsing the statement. He was stating a fact.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM

I was agreeing with him that JTs is not a great hand, especially in a short-handed, no-limit tournament.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:30 PM

Default Context

I have read all of the replies thus far, and I can't believe no one has pointed out the fact that when this pearl of wisdom was uttered, it was in the context of Men Nguyen contemplating a call with TJ suited after a decent-sized raise AND A CALL!!

This is a no-brainer in this context. They don't call the man "The Master" because he overcalls in this spot with TJ suited.

If anyone decides to tell me that the call after the raise makes TJs MORE playable because of the implied odds if he flops a monster, I think I'll just hang up my spurs. Yes, I know it takes all kinds, and yes, I know that varying one's play is necessary, and yes, I am aware of the fact that TJs has made some folks some serious money, but let's not kid each other here: this hand is easily dominated in this spot, and should hit the muck pretty quickly after a raise and a call.

Or else I am wrong. That might be it.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 PM

Hmm... I'm confused.

1) VVP implies that JTs is a great hand (if you weren't watching, he seemed shocked by Men's fold)....

2) I say it's a silly comment...

3) You say, "Why is that silly? It sounds accurate to me"...

4) I ask you to clarify...

5) You say, "I was agreeing with him that JTs is not a great hand"...

What's going on here? You've got me thoroughly confused. One of us seems to be misunderstanding something. Were you originally agreeing with Jimbo that JTs isn't that good? If you were I don't know why you would have disagreed with me, since I was also agreeing with Jimbo.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:52 PM

Default because HE thought that YOU thought that

jimbo's comment was silly.

Quick reading could lead you this way- but Pooh-Bahs have some many posts to do, they all run together...

He was disagreeing with you disagreeing with Jim... therefore agreeing with you about Vince...

Aspirin time!
Old 06-05-2003, 03:58 PM

I still say I'd like to watch a tournament with you and Tommy announcing. How could talk about white Zen masters and your peeing issues not boost ratings? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]