Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:51 PM

Default couple more bluffing hands

Maybe it's just because semibluff/bluffs like this have been working out well in general lately, but I think they're good in the long run against typical high-limit players--of course in heads up many of the situations have to do with the way the game's been going, type of opponent and all that. But I suspect you have to make these plays to win convincingly at these levels, the opponents are just too good and not giving you an inch unless you steal it occasionally.

$2000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Villain ( $1846.50 )
Hero ( $2508.06 )
Villain posts small blind [$10].
Hero posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 2c Kc 9h 5s ]

Villain raises [$50].
Hero calls [$40].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, Qc, 7d ]

Villain checks.
Hero checks.

** Dealing Turn ** [ Jh ]

Villain bets [$119].
Hero calls [$119].

** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]

walt610 bets [$357].
Hero raises [$1000].
Villain folds.

Hero does not show cards.
Hero wins $1714

---------------------------------------------------------

$2000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Hero ( $1907.50 )
Villain ( $2069.50 )
Villain posts small blind [$10].
Hero posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 2h 8h Ad Jc ]

Villain raises [$50].
Hero calls [$40].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 7c, Qh ]

Villain checks.
Hero checks.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 8d ]

Villain bets [$119].
Hero raises [$325].
Villain calls [$206].

** Dealing River ** [ 5s ]

Villain checks.
Hero bets [$769].
Villain folds.
Hero does not show cards.
Hero wins $1538
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: couple more bluffing hands

Well, head up is, of course, very different in terms of bluffing standards than a full ring game. The second hand, in particular, I would consider just part of the normal "ground game", where you're trying to pick up enough small pots to avoid getting grinded away while looking for a big score.

The first hand is fine, too, though for a different reason. The Villain's river bet smells a lot like a missed low draw and AT is a possible but unlikely combination considering the preflop and turn action. The only questionable part is flat calling the turn, but since it is so small in absolute dollars (relative to stack sizes), it's not worth that much analysis.

In general, these are not all that sophisticated or questionable, at least compared to the original hand you posted. (Assuming these are relatively "good" players.)
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: couple more bluffing hands

[ QUOTE ]
The first hand is fine, too, though for a different reason. The Villain's river bet smells a lot like a missed low draw and AT is a possible but unlikely combination considering the preflop and turn action. The only questionable part is flat calling the turn, but since it is so small in absolute dollars (relative to stack sizes), it's not worth that much analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, although the bet size relative to the stack size is not large, the absolute dollar amounts on these tables is a significant factor affecting play IMO. On a $200 table, this would be a $11.90 turn call and $100 river bluff. That's just not as likely to have an intimidating effect on a $200 stack as a $119 call and $1000 bluff are to have on a $2000 stack, for many (but not all) players. This is certainly debatable, just my observations based on my own experience and the fact that the game is much more bluffable.

What I'm getting at is that the turn call is the most aggressive part of the hand IMO. Raising on the turn is OK, but I open myself up to the same bluff I ran on the river if I don't pick the pot up there or catch on the river, and I have to worry about better low drawing, catching, and pushing me off junk high that might be good. Folding isn't really an option, my hand is too good to fold there. Calling is best IMO because I'm setting up a big river bet in many more circumstances.

[ QUOTE ]

In general, these are not all that sophisticated or questionable, at least compared to the original hand you posted. (Assuming these are relatively "good" players.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm. That's weird, I was thinking the first hand I was mainly betting for value the whole way (with bluff possibility if I miss the river), these last two I feel like I either outplayed the guy (both hands) or maybe just got real lucky (2nd hand).