Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Mysterious Check Dilemna

id call and ask them even if i needed the money, its not worth the risk - as far as legal stuff they cant do anything to harm u except cancel the check and pull it back out of ur account, it was written to u so u cant be in trouble for cashing it...but if they do pull it back and u have insufficent funds then ur in a poopy situation

bookkeepers will eventually audit this when the books come up funky if this is an incorrect check - so if u have no idea what this is for i wouldnt cash it cause then ull look like either a VERY ignorant person and an ahole, niether of which im sure ur company wants - call them
Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Dude, you realize it's a severence check right? Start stealing office supplies right now!

LLL
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cash it at your own risk. I used to work in payroll for a huge company and I can think of two instances where a bonus went to wrong person. If the check wasn't supposed to go to you and you cash it, they will find out and try to get the money back. My advice would be to inquire about why got the check, because you won't get to keep the money (if you want to keep your job) if you weren't supposed to get it in the first place.

In one of the instances I was talking about above two employees had the same name and the wrong one got an $80,000 bonus. By the time the right person came around asking where his 80 grand was, the other guy wasn't with the company anymore. They didn't try to recover the $80K because it wasn't worth it (I told you it was a huge company).

Unfortunately, no one at the place (who was due a huge bonus) had the same name as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure someone in payroll got fired for this error
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you realize it's a severence check right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is the correct answer -- it's a severance cheque. That's the only reasonable reason that I can think of that a cheque worth 6 weeks' pay would arrive unexpectedly like that.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you realize it's a severence check right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is the correct answer -- it's a severance cheque. That's the only reasonable reason that I can think of that a cheque worth 6 weeks' pay would arrive unexpectedly like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another possibility is excess vacation time. Did you have a ton of vacation hours or days sitting there unused? Did they recently put in a policy caping the amount of you can have available at a time?

Yeah, 240 hours of vacation time is a lot to have saved up, but not uncommon. I've had over 200 a few times, and I know people with over 240.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you realize it's a severence check right? Start stealing office supplies right now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Disassemble your cube and clean fish on your desk. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Get direct deposit.