Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: AP club just got busted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i heard that this other club, not AP, "BW" got busted over the weekend as well. any truth to this? jeez, thank god i was in vegas over the weekend, chances are very high i wouldve been there the nite of the bust at either one of these clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. Beef Wellington is still up and running.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm, I love that stuff. nh.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At most, you loose your money/chips and get a summons "loitering for gambling" that gets thrown out at the first court visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard of them taking any of the palyers in on this at any raid since one of the diamond club raids way back. I think they know it will not stand up and playing poker is not a crime. At both the B'way raid and the PS raid the vice captain made a point of announcing that "We are not here for the players. You are doing nothing wrong. It is not a crime to be here or to play cards in NYC it is only a crime to operate this establishment. We are here serving a warrant on the owners and employees here."

But you are right about the questioning. Give your ID, act respectfully,and there is no need to answer any question about another game or club. Then go home.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:05 PM

I have a question. You're in a NYC underground club playing. Cops do their thing. They take you outside for questioning and ask "who was dealing at the table?". What do you tell them?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question. You're in a NYC underground club playing. Cops do their thing. They take you outside for questioning and ask "who was dealing at the table?". What do you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bother trying to skirt this one. It was weird that they were doing this though as that wasn't the case at PS. But they are taking the people who were sitting in the box regardless, and the others at your table are going to point them out so I wouldn't push it and just tell them. Everyones picture gets shown to the undercover who was surveiling the place and he looks through all the pics for people he has seen working at the club. They are getting the dealers and the dealers are then getting off with little more than a tap on the wrist. As far as some of the other questions they were asking, there is no need to provide info about other establishments or anything that doesn't directly concern you.

As a side just before they came in players watching the tourney table were asked to sit down. One player was about to sit in the box on the empty table and pick up a deck of cards. I told him not to and just sit in a player seat. He can thank me the next time I see him. I'm sure that:

'no no really I just sat down in this chair, I don't deal here I swear'

would have gone over really well. Saved Z a night in jail.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know the police can confiscate whatever chips/money you have on the table, but what about the money in your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't touch the money in your pocket. Smart club owners will give a large chunk of the bank to a player they trust to take out during a raid.

And to the OP the dealers were all released the following day on $500 bail and given a court date for mid Nov.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I assume they can still search you as I read in the bway thread that someone was found with coke and a joint.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the players were released after about 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the players were released free and clear with no charges whatsoever right? Not only not arrested but also not given a summons or anything right? And that was also the case at BW, PS and NYPC right? I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 PM

This just proves how much the East Coast sucks.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with? Did they have to spend the night in jail? I'm asking because I've been thinking about becoming a dealer but in this climate it's iffy. Still, if anyone knows about the dealer school in NYC, PM me and let me know. I figure the SCHOOL at least is legal, right? - because they are prepping dealers for AC, Foxwoods, legal places...
Old 10-20-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...the players were released after about 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the players were released free and clear with no charges whatsoever right? Not only not arrested but also not given a summons or anything right? And that was also the case at BW, PS and NYPC right? I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players in all cases are released free and clear. ID's are checked for outstanding warrants and if you are not wanted you are released. The only charges filed against players in the B'way raid was one person who when asked "do you have anything on you we xhould know about?" produced a gram of coke from their pocket and was summarily arrested. All other players were released.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with? Did they have to spend the night in jail?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealers were all charged with 'promotion of gambling' and 'possesion of a gambling device'. They were booked on Friday night around 2am or so and were all released by 1 am Saturday night.

In the PS/NYPC case all of the dealers were offered either community service and 6mos. probation or an ACD. ACD is an Aquittal in Contemplation of Dismissal, which means you keep clean for 6 months and the charges are dropped and cleared from your record. Get arrested within 6 months and you can be sentenced on whatever your current arrest is for and the previous charges, not the best choice for those who decided to keep dealing in the city. Most likely the same sentence will be offered in this case.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:25 PM

In our case, the cops wrote down everyone's information from their IDs even if there wasn't anything outstanding on your record. My friend said that one of the officers told him that it's not a formal charge/citation, but it is for a database where they will know that we were stopped for being in a card room. In any event, there was no real explanation or instruction as to what was being done to the players and they were let go after submitting their info.

I should also mention that they did a search for weapons/drugs on the premesis and asked if anyone had either - they didn't search anyone, but be sure that they would have been bigger hardasses if someone was stupid enough to have something on them.

They did NOT interrogate the players, although they did try to bully us as a group into giving up the dealers who were sitting among the crowd - no one did and they figured it out for themselves anyway. I don't know what they asked the dealers, but again, they DID NOT ASK US ABOUT OTHER CLUBS or try to cut a deal to turn in others who weren't there.