Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: 100 Great Films

[ QUOTE ]
plus, i haven't seen Nemo and this will give me an excuse. and eventually i'm gonna start on the NY Times list of 1000, which should pretty much cover everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the blog:
"I've definitely, without a doubt, seen 32 of them already: Barry Lyndon, Bonnie and Clyde, Brazil, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, City of God, The Decalogue (i'm thrilled this is on there), Double Indemnity, Dr. Strangelove, E.T., 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, Finding Nemo, The Godfather, Goodfellas, A Hard Day's Night, His Girl Friday, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR, The Manchurian Candidate, Notorious, On the Waterfront, Pinocchio, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, Some Like It Hot, Star Wars, A Streetcar Named Desire, Talk to Her, Taxi Driver, Unforgiven "

What gives?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
plus, i haven't seen Nemo and this will give me an excuse. and eventually i'm gonna start on the NY Times list of 1000, which should pretty much cover everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the blog:
"I've definitely, without a doubt, seen 32 of them already: Barry Lyndon, Bonnie and Clyde, Brazil, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, City of God, The Decalogue (i'm thrilled this is on there), Double Indemnity, Dr. Strangelove, E.T., 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, Finding Nemo, The Godfather, Goodfellas, A Hard Day's Night, His Girl Friday, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR, The Manchurian Candidate, Notorious, On the Waterfront, Pinocchio, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, Some Like It Hot, Star Wars, A Streetcar Named Desire, Talk to Her, Taxi Driver, Unforgiven "

What gives?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. i forgot about that. turns out i did see it. i must have been thinking about something else.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Get ready to put aside some time for Berlin Alexanderplatz. That movie is like 15 hours long.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get ready to put aside some time for Berlin Alexanderplatz. That movie is like 15 hours long.

[/ QUOTE ]

any idea where i can find it? netflix doesn't have it

that, the decalogue, and LOTR. i'll have to space them out.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was going thru the AFI list and thinking "Great, good, yea great one" etc. until I hit "62. Tootsie". WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

High Noon was my breaking point on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to mention High Noon. WTF. Make some room.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 PM

I've thought about this recently. Browsing through B&N the other day I came across a book of the 1000 greatest movies of all time. Now, I'm not sure whether or not his criteria are considered among the more educated public to be more or less stringent than other, however, I felt that it was a good starting point of what to consider to be great movies.

I plan on starting again with that book, but I might take my liberty to pass over a few films. In high school I went through a phase where I was convinced that I was destined to be one of the great artists of our time and tried to watch every Kurosawa and Fellini film I could get my hands on. I watched about two, realized how ridiculous they all were, stopped and went back to sitting around watching Bill Murray comedies.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

any idea where i can find it? netflix doesn't have it

that, the decalogue, and LOTR. i'll have to space them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I doubt its on DVD although I know it is available on VHS, but probably not in most independent video stores. I'm sure you can buy it online, but then you're stuck a bunch of money. It came to a theater in Boston once when I was there and probably shows every couple of years in New York if you are in the northeast and can look out for it.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:35 AM

Post em here too. I can't be assed to go to your blog, and we'd get some discussion going, maybe?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post em here too. I can't be assed to go to your blog, and we'd get some discussion going, maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

will do. if i'm lucky, one of the mods will change my title to "film snob", hint, hint.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 AM

You'd need to post some decent ones first, but I'm sure they would if you did, and you asked nicely.