Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Any actuaries in here?

I'm taking Exam 6 (P&C Exams) in about 2 weeks... it's a good career, but the studying is a huge pain (and it's likely more than 100 hours of studying per exam later on)...especially if you're like myself and would rather be playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Any time you need some motivation, just ask me and I'll tell you the best way to be a lazy bum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For the last 8 years gambling has been pretty much my only income, divided 80-10-10 between sports betting, poker and blackjack. I'd say my EV is about the same in all three but I prefer sports betting because it's hands off and so it's easier to remove myself emotionally and concentrate on other things like family, health, etc.

The hardest part of being a pro gambler is not the math but the isolation. It takes a special type of personality -- the type that could go hiking in the mountains alone for a month straight without going nuts.

Are you considering the thought of gambling for a living?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:09 PM

Hey DarrylP,

I've thought about the isolation too from gambling. Have you thought about volunteering or working doing something you really enjoy (i.e. coaching sports, etc.) to get "out there" more?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 PM

Hi Yellow,

Yes I did teach a bit of math and English for a while but eventually I found that also went counter to my philosophy of life since I helped people to become part of the system which, according to my philosophy, is my enemy.

Technically those subjects are not directly related to the system but I knew my students would be using it for that and that bothered me. I felt I should band together with other teachers (kind of like a labor union) and make good quality teaching become an expensive commodity rather than give out all that great knowledge for free to people who will use it to make humanity evolve backwards.

Apart from that I have 3 kids who I enjoy spending time with so I'm not really that bored anymore.

Are you a pro gambler also? If so, what do you do "on the side"?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

I'm just a university student right now majoring in stats, graduating in 2 years. Gambling-wise my bankroll is not even close to going as a full-time gambler.

I've imagined working some dead-end stats job part-time to keep my parents happy and playing poker because there is so much potential profit in it. I would educate myself in the form of poker that the public is playing.

The isolation bit is something I have thought about continuously, which was another motivation for me working in society at least part time. Tutoring math (and not teaching) came to mind, because I know I derive enjoyment from helping students succeed in it.

Your philosophy on the system being the enemy is intriguing, could you elaborate on what the system is, and why it's the enemy?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Very closely related to my philosophy is that of the Unabomber as outlined in his manifesto

In a nutshell I believe that the system is designed to help the less capable and less intelligent by hindering and stealing from the more capable and more intelligent. The education system is an organic and vital component of it as it starts the brainwashing at a very young age. It coerces you to subordinate your own needs to those of the system by instilling guilt any time you want to pursue your own goals without helping (or heaven forbid, hindering!) others. The media continues the brainwashing for the adults as do the various authority figures.

And as one of the more capable and more intelligent members of the population I naturally want to fight against that which tries to hinder, manipulate and steal from me, or at the very least not support it voluntarily.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and it's likely more than 100 hours of studying per exam later on

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true. i studied 200 hours for courses 5 and 6 and 300 for course 8. it's a big commitment when added on top of your 9 to 5 job.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 PM

what are exams 5,6, and 8 on?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very closely related to my philosophy is that of the Unabomber as outlined in his manifesto

In a nutshell I believe that the system is designed to help the less capable and less intelligent by hindering and stealing from the more capable and more intelligent. The education system is an organic and vital component of it as it starts the brainwashing at a very young age. It coerces you to subordinate your own needs to those of the system by instilling guilt any time you want to pursue your own goals without helping (or heaven forbid, hindering!) others. The media continues the brainwashing for the adults as do the various authority figures.

And as one of the more capable and more intelligent members of the population I naturally want to fight against that which tries to hinder, manipulate and steal from me, or at the very least not support it voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Response Option #1: Works for me. I'd adopt any philosophy required to get into bed with Jennifer Tilly.

Response Option #2: Would this be a good time to ask you for a donation to a worthwhile charity?

Response Option #3: You should seriously consider therapy.

Choose your favorite.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are exams 5,6, and 8 on?

[/ QUOTE ]

the system is about to change, so this is a little out of date, but...

5 was on general actuarial fields: life insurance, group insurance, and pensions

6 was investments (specifically how they relate to actuarial fields)

8 is where you pick one of several exams, specialized to your actuarial field. there is life insurance, group insurance, investments, retirement (my field), and some others.