Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advice?

My little rants help to keep me stable, I think. Also, I am not really a happy person. I never have and probably never will be. I guess I am just happy being content, if that makes sense. I guess part of mentality is that I am never satisfied with anything I do. I remember telling myself when I was in high school if I could ever make $100/hr, i would be happy...well, i'm not. I told myself just the other day if I could ever reach $500/hr, I would be happy. I am pretty sure this isnt the case though. I guess I strive to be perfect and until I am there, which wont ever happen, I doubt I will ever be happy. So, I must simply be content with what i can get.

Also, not being able to chat after i get screwed over is really putting a hurting on my game. It really does suck to not be able to berate the fish. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I love you all. GO VOTE FOR CIT.

I should also mention that I am probably one of the most patient and kind people in anything I do out in the real world, whether it be hanging out with friends or playing poker. When I lay live, I usually dont say much at all and I sure dont berate the fish. It is odd how I become almost crazy when you put me behind a computer.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advice?

short answer to a long question.

Stay on the meds.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM

for what it's worth, i have some experience with family that has depression that really doesn't respond well to meds. What they found works best for them is starting everyday with a workout. I know it sounds weird, but they say it helps more than anything else and that their deppression is noticibly worse if they fall off the rutine.

Steve
Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 PM

hmmm...i just might try it. I'l let you know how it goes.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM

if it works great try to guilt trip me into it too, professional poker has done nothing for my general level of fitness.

Steve
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advic

I only had time to read the short version, because I'm at work. However, I have a couple of comments to make.

I'm not going to repeat my standard "stay in school" speech. I'm sure you've heard it a dozen times, anyway, and you're going to have to make your own mistakes, pay the price, and learn that we're right 10 years from now. I have a much more important comment to make: stay on the meds. I've been on meds for 15 years now. I strongly doubt I'd still be alive otherwise. There have been times when I thought I didn't need them anymore. I was wrong. Everything I've read here indicates that you still need them, too. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Diabetics have to stay on insulin. HIV positive folks must take protease inhibitors. Clinically depressed people must take their medicine as well. This is a life-threatening disease, with serious physical as well as mental consequences. Decades of clinical studies back this up. Do not take it lightly, and don't listen to morons who don't understand it.

Losing interest in things you used to enjoy, especially social activities, is a classic sign of depression. So is withdrawing into an escapist activity. (Of which online Poker is a fine example.)

As for school, please take one piece of advice from a fellow sufferer of chronic depression. Do not make significant life decisions while you are depressed. Stay where you're at until you get treated and straightened out. When you're back to feeling human again, then decide. You'll be much more likely to make the right choice.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further in private. Best wishes.

-AF.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for what it's worth, i have some experience with family that has depression that really doesn't respond well to meds. What they found works best for them is starting everyday with a workout. I know it sounds weird, but they say it helps more than anything else and that their deppression is noticibly worse if they fall off the rutine.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Not weird at all. Excercise and diet are the two most effective treatments for depression. Medication is third, but it's employed more often because it's easier to get people to take a pill than exercise (sadly). Plus it's more profitable for drug companies.

The Chinese treat depression using exercise alone. And they do it very effectively.

I do both, and I feel great, now. But if I slack on either, well, you wouldn't much want to be around me.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stay on the meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with this. I would recommend what the other guys said and try working out and stuff and get some exercise. I actually have found my self being depressed lately and I havent done any physical activity, I use to play sports everyday.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:06 PM

Do what makes you happy. If thats staring at a computer screen all day do it. Just keep this in mind. If you can't have fun in college, you can forget about having as much fun after college. Unless you live in a college town, the bars will be 70% guys, 25% skanky dumb girls. Your friends will all be getting jobs and settling down, and one by one won't want to do anything anymore.

I think physical activity is definately the way for you to go. Also try something creative. Learn to play guitar or find some other creative hobby. It is a lot of fun when someone appreciates what you have done creatively.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stay on the meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with this. I would recommend what the other guys said and try working out and stuff and get some exercise. I actually have found my self being depressed lately and I havent done any physical activity, I use to play sports everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy sounds like he has clinical depression. You sound like you don't. Please don't give advice on this topic unless you know what you're talking about. No offense intended, but people who have never experienced this disease have absolutely no idea what it's like, yet they all believe that they do. I can assure you with 100% confidence that it bears no resemblance to how you feel when you're "kinda depressed lately."

That being said -- Yes, hit the gym as well.