Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 200nl hands...sigh

Hand 1 - Full ring from UTG I fold AQo preflop, and limp AQs planning to fold to a raise from LP. Even if LP is stealing, I don't like playing AQ oop post flop against a preflop raiser. I realize that this is pretty tight, but I wouldn't have to worry about this flop because I would have lost my $1 SB and moved on.

Hand 2 - Raise to $8 preflop, just to be a nit, since that would be 4xBB. I think check/folding the turn is fine if villain is straight forward in his post flop play, or you don't have a read. You're ahead of JJ, TT, and most flush draws (like Qs Js), but that's about it. If you're concerned about getting run over by being too weak tight, then call the turn bet of $20 and lead the river for $30, folding to any raise. JJ or TT will call that river if it's a low blank. I really suspect that by the turn you're behind most villains calling your continuation bet on that flop more often than you are ahead by this turn (any 9x or 4x has a straight, any suited connector now has 2-pair, any mid pocket pair now has a set), so giving up seems OK unless you make a habit of giving up easily and guys start taking advantage of you with very little other than position.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:48 PM

bet more on the flop on hand 2.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Lately over the past 2 weeks I've been playing everyday and have become very profitable playing just under these stakes. Although I've been doing alot of 6 handed NL, I think the worst thing you can do in a hand is throw it away due to lack of knowledge and aggression. You basically are obligated to throw in a 70%-90% bet of the pot size I think. If you get raised here, you can obviously get rid of it alot sooner, and if he just calls the flop, unless he's slow playing it for value, bet the turn as well, this time if he calls again, I would be weary of you play on 5th street. I would then suggest checking the river, if he makes a value bet, I think you just have to call it, and give him credit if he outflopped you.