Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Whose a better poker player Sklansky or Negreanu?

[ QUOTE ]
Is this for real? Do you think you can be a judge of their skills based on what you see on TV? News flash, TV poker coverage is horrible, and with a few exceptions, its purely for entertainment value.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, I think the person who has come across the best in all the TV poker coverage I've seen is Negreanu. This year's WSOP main event coverage of him showed some pretty good plays and reads when the cards weren't hitting. Fox's poker at the Plaza was a clinic of Negreanu's strong play. That was my opinion on my own, but with an appeal to authority I'll note that HOH agrees somewhat and says that Negreanu's heads up bluff against Deeb was the single most interesting hand of the televised poker era.

I don't think I've seen enough TV coverage of Sklansky to make even the typical uninformed TV viewer opinions about the quality of his play.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 AM

Pretty horrible question with a clear answer.... Negreanu..

DS is horribly overrated on these forums as a PLAYER. He is one of the greatest theorist ever but this does not translate into one of the greatest players ever. Negreanu's record squashes DS's. There is also no sidegame argument as DS does not play in the level game that DN has. I'm sure DN would destroy the limits DS plays at if he focussed.

Why must we overrate DS so much?? Those who cannot do, teach.

And calling DN arrogant?.. PLEASE.. most poker players are somewhat arrogant, including DN, but DS takes it to a whole other level, without the record to back it up.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure DN would destroy the limits DS plays at if he focussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who the better poker player really is though I believe it is Sklansky but to think Negreanu would destroy 80-160 to 200-400 Bellagio games is a stretch. I've lived in Vegas for 5 years. I've spent many hours playing at Bellagio. I've never seen DN play the same limits as Sklansky. I have played 15-30 with him. I believe that he went straight from playing mid limit to high limit after some tournament wins.

Sklansky has played and survived in these limits for years. There are some great poker players that play in these games and also have for years. We know this about Sklansky. Negreanu is another matter.

Vince
Old 10-19-2005, 06:21 AM

I think that for you to write and formulate your opinion on 2 players whom you don't even know personally nor know how much more skilled one is from the other except what you see portrayed on television is just plain...... ehh....
Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 AM

FWIW, from watching David N on TV lots of times, I think this guy is oozing tells. When he starts talking he gives away his hand IMO. Notice how quiet he is when he has a big hand, and how chatty he is when he's thinking about his play with a marginal hand. When he leans back and does that stretching thing with his hands, and shakes his head back and forth, and then quietly bets or raises, its always a monster. Obviously hes a brilliant player, but its interesting to see how even the best have noticeable leaks.

Of course its possible he does these things in an opposite way when the camera is not on him to disguise/confuse opponents, but I'm not sure. He strikes me as one who wears his heart on his sleeve all the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, from watching David N on TV lots of times, I think this guy is oozing tells. When he starts talking he gives away his hand IMO. Notice how quiet he is when he has a big hand, and how chatty he is when he's thinking about his play with a marginal hand. When he leans back and does that stretching thing with his hands, and shakes his head back and forth, and then quietly bets or raises, its always a monster. Obviously hes a brilliant player, but its interesting to see how even the best have noticeable leaks.

Of course its possible he does these things in an opposite way when the camera is not on him to disguise/confuse opponents, but I'm not sure. He strikes me as one who wears his heart on his sleeve all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, seriously don't you think that if his tells are that obvious other PROS would easily pick up on them, and he wouldnt be very sucessfull player at all...
Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that for you to write and formulate your opinion on 2 players whom you don't even know personally nor know how much more skilled one is from the other except what you see portrayed on television is just plain...... ehh....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does someone invariably try to claim that all these opinions are based on TV appearances. I live in Las Vegas, know several pro and semi pro players and hear all sorts of stories about the relative successes of both of these players. Also, there is a lot of written material available as well as records of tournament results to view.