Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Party $11 AK & c/b help

To clarify: One third of the time you will flop TPTK, which against two callers gets 2:1 pot odds. Therefore, you don't have to worry about figuring out which of times you miss the flop you still have the best hand. That's why discouraging action by overbetting is disadvantageous.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 PM

I like your bet the best Slim. The other thing I would probably do here is go allin. I've been screwing around with AK early lately, and allin is just a pretty easy choice that you know is +EV.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your bet the best Slim. The other thing I would probably do here is go allin. I've been screwing around with AK early lately, and allin is just a pretty easy choice that you know is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're the guy that I keep doubling up on early when I get AA in LP. Sweet, thanks for the chips.

Seriously, why are you putting your tourny life on the line with a coinflip on level 1?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 PM

I would not do this at the $22's, or anything higher than the party $11's. Ok, this is a super small sample, but going through poker tracker, this is what I get called with:
7cJc
AcJc
JcJh
QQ
TT
QJo

Basically, 80% of the time I steal the bets, and when I get called, I'm way ahead half of the time. I'm behind against AA or KK, sure, but that doesn't make up for the huge percentage of time I'm ahead against callers.

I believe in level one, the biggest donks who just want to level up fast are still in it, and it's great to be the one to take the chips that they want to give you.

[ QUOTE ]

So you're the guy that I keep doubling up on early when I get AA in LP. Sweet, thanks for the chips.

Seriously, why are you putting your tourny life on the line with a coinflip on level 1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2005, 12:25 PM

I wouldn't stray too far from the optimal play with AK early. Limping is bad, as is a massive overbet (which I I don't hate with KK or AA in the 11's, but not AK). You'll never go wrong with the raising 3BB+1BB per limper and then check-folding if you miss the flop, 1/2-1 pot bet if you hit. The continuation bet of 1/2-2/3 pot when you miss is the "screwing around" that you could do.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM

swiftrhett,

I just wrote a longer response to this type of argument in a thread yesterday so I won't do it again here, but just because something is +EV doesn't mean it's the optimal play. This kind of thinking
[ QUOTE ]
allin is just a pretty easy choice that you know is +EV

[/ QUOTE ]
can get you in trouble. You should be looking for the best possible play, and there will be situations that will have multiple +EV options. Just saying "This is +EV, so screw it, that's what I'm doing" doesn't mean it's the best play.

You may in fact be winning by playing in this fashion, but ask yourself if there's a way that's even better. Pay attention to Slim Pickens' advice. I think your overall gain could be even better playing that way.

-SonnyJay
Old 10-19-2005, 12:51 PM

I would have bet 75 pf, 100 flop, fold to his check raise. It is early, and you have nothing. He called your pf, bet and CR you on flop... my guess is that he has 2 pair or a set and is worried about the flush draw...