Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: My life as a compulsive gambler

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, who would go thru the trouble of writing that long ass post, and make up all those details and series of events....to what end? hardly anyones even replied to it.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously god told him to do it.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Yet his trading talk seemed real. I traded OEX options briefly in '98. One day seemed like a week...

On the other hand you'd have thought he'd either expand his real estate operation when he had the chance and hire an outside management company or sell the building when he was in the red each month because he wasn't running it effectively...

In the end I don't. He might be real or he might be like that Godot guy--good story getting good attention.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Fast forward to today. I am still living in a basement apartment. No girl, my friends have all pursued a normal life and as a result I have none. I play 4000 hands a week on various sites. Through the softening of the rental market in Boston my once thriving business now costs me $3000 of my own money a month to continue. The value of my holdings thru sales and market value has dwindled to $1.8 million of which I only own 67%.

You want sympathy when you still own 67% of $1.8 million???

Do the math?

WTF

If you told me you lost everything from H.Katrina or H.Rita I might show a sign of weakness...

BUTT

You have no right to whinge about life at all!

Unless it consumes you.

Well, then you wont be the first one!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Why would someone write a *fake* post this long and detailed? I have no way of knowing if it's fake or not...but it seems like a strange thing to do if it *is* indeed fake.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would someone write a *fake* post this long and detailed? I have no way of knowing if it's fake or not...but it seems like a strange thing to do if it *is* indeed fake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do mentally disturbed people do anything they do? Psychs have a lot of answers and even more theories. And if he is truly addicted to gambling, and any part of what he writes is true, he has a form of mental illness. Hell, he could have any of a long list of problems which would cause him to go to the length (no pun intended) he has.

If his problem is gambling, a call to G.A. will start him in the direction of getting better.

If he's got other problems, God help him. I can't.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Whether this story is real or not, there are two universal truths in it that should be deeply pondered:

"After a while, deeply in debt, my girlfriend found out and realized that she didn't want to be with me anymore."

"Poker or me"

1. Women are bitches.

2. Value investing is the way to go.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do mentally disturbed people do anything they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can buy that he might be mentally ill. I just found it odd that people were so quick to dismiss his post and call "bullshit" like he was some sort of troll or something.

And you're right, if all or part of what he says is true, he needs to call GA. He's not going to get better on his own.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:11 PM

67% of 1.8 million is still 1.2 million. Plus you have your relative health and live in America. All in all, your life isn't too bad. My recommendation is to get some hobbies other than Foxwoods. Join some clubs. If you have to, disconnect your cable/internet provider. The gambling fever will go away if it is not surrounding you. Best wishes.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 PM

that seriously is too cruel. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]