Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t like AK

If the preflop action had been reversed so he raised and you called his raise with AK then calling here has better prospects I think. The fact that he called your preflop raise is why I give him credit for the AK as a minimum on this flop. When a preflop raiser pot bets a Kxx flop it screams AK so vilain has to give you credit for that hand. If he wanted to shut you down then a PSR would do it better, a min- raise is just begging you to pay him off. I think villain is likely getting tricky too, I just think he's trickily getting you to put more money in on a losing hand.

If I have a read that villain likes to min raise his top pair hands that would be different too, but without a read I fold like an origami master.

I'm not swearing my play is right, I usually am weak tight, but I wouldnt lose sleep over folding to this flop raise.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 AM

I think you played it fine. TPTK isn't a hand to get all your money in the middle. I also think you've defined your hand to the villain quite strongly, and seeing as he raises you again on the turn he definitly thinks he can beat you.
I would still bet the turn, villain could be min-raising his flush draw, but as he raises again on the turn you can only be behind.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 AM

good post, you are right that with this min raise he is most likely ahead and just trying to extract as much value out of me as possible. It is hard to let TPTK go though (especially with that club on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )...just gotta learn to let it go earlier sometimes i guess. Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 10:30 AM

I hate your turn bet. If villain is on the flush draw then you give him pretty good odds to chase.
If villain is aggro, then he can raise and blow you off your hand with a worse hand than you.
If villain is ahead, you just gave him more money, and if he smooth calls you here ... what do you do on the river, when it blanks, when a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits?

If you plan to bet the turn, the make a proper bet, so that you will be much more sure what is going down than you are.

I prefer to fold to the minraise, than call and lead for 30 into an 83 pot.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:35 AM

why'd you lead the turn (after being minraised on the flop) for less than a 1/2 pot bet? that screams weakness.

i'd check/call a reasonable turn bet.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM

I think calling the min-raise and leading the turn for 1/2 pot (I'd recommend $40-$45 instead of $30) is the cheapest line, in general, to find out if you are ahead or not. There are many players that will min-raise with anything to try and push you off QQ or JJ or AQ, especially if your continuation bet is routine after a preflop raise. A lot of flush draw semi-bluffers will try the min-raise too. I would prefer the full pot-raise if I was semi-bluffing to increase fold equity, and buy a free card if I miss the turn.

I like your line a lot. If villain is still semi-bluff raising after you raised preflop, led the flop and led the turn, then he is probably willing to go all-in with it on the river whether he hits his flush or not. That means you would need to have a strong read that he would do this often enough to make going to the felt with TPTK +EV. That kind of villain is very rare, however, and I think your line is generally best to determine if you're ahead or behind typical villains at this level. Good fold.