Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Turn Decision

[ QUOTE ]
The play is to raise the flop. No doubt. I'm still curious what to do on the turn in this spot though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which I believe stems from failing to raise the flop, which was deceptive. He may have nothing more than an overpair to the board and wants players out. He may be putting you on AQ and holding KK/AA. The flush draw isn't leaving and T9 is likely, but you can't run scared. You may be playing in too high a limit, which I think is the case, as you said you were stuck a rack and looking to make it up here.

If you're beat, you're beat. Set over Set sends me to the showers, but not until after the river.

Make the draws pay & if they are already there, you have outs. If AMA has a set, well, your screwed; won't be the last time.

Final Note: Buy Caro's book on tells, since you don't play much live. Gives you something to do while sitting out hands. You may have picked up on something about AMA. Of course, you can't just read the book and go play poker and read your players, however, you would have learned more after that hand was over if you had been observing more during the session.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 AM

Your read tells you he has QQ. It also is too short a period of time to make a huge fold in a huge pot. Call down.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 06:42 AM

I dunno, I think the flop slowplay is fine. There are alot of hands drawing very nearly dead that you don't want to shut out with 2 cold on the flop and a very good chance it gets raised behind you anyway. Gutshots will probably correctly call two cold anyway knowing they have 4 clean outs to the nuts. So I'm pretty sure they only folds you get by raising the flop are ones you don't want and you stand to get a lot more action by letting more people see another card. Its rare that its right to slowplay in a pot this big, but I think this is a pretty perfect spot.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and knew that these guys would probably call with gutshots and one pairs on the turn for two bets.

The play is to raise the flop. No doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting for the turn may kill my action.

No guarantee that AMA bets the turn.

Big multi-way pot. I have a strong hand, but it's vulnerable. Granted, it's pretty strong, but there are two gutshots out there and lots of hands can become open-ended with a favorable turn.

It's generally easier to play with a flop raise.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your read tells you he has QQ. It also is too short a period of time to make a huge fold in a huge pot. Call down.

my 2 cents.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is out. Don't like a raise? I can sell 9T here and make the draws pay.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I think the flop slowplay is fine. There are alot of hands drawing very nearly dead that you don't want to shut out with 2 cold on the flop and a very good chance it gets raised behind you anyway. Gutshots will probably correctly call two cold anyway knowing they have 4 clean outs to the nuts. So I'm pretty sure they only folds you get by raising the flop are ones you don't want and you stand to get a lot more action by letting more people see another card. Its rare that its right to slowplay in a pot this big, but I think this is a pretty perfect spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone else in the hand is really loose and fairly passive when faced with reasonable aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unlikely that there is a flop raise at this table. AMA would 3-bet a flop raise with an overpair though I would think. Slowplay would be better at a typical laggy table, but here I think I am too often going to kill my action by waiting.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM

Am I the only one that things folding 8-8 here is correct? The guy has entered two pots, folded both times, and not raised once.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that things folding 8-8 here is correct? The guy has entered two pots, folded both times, and not raised once.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he turns QQ face up, I've got odds to spike an eight. If you want to fold it, the river is the spot to do it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he turns QQ face up, I've got odds to spike an eight.

[/ QUOTE ]

no you don't, and no, the implied odds don't cover it either.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Come on I'll get at least 15 bets in on the river...

edited to add: this is really embarassing. I blame posting before coffee.